Boogie Mark IV and Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJD

Reaction score
Hello,

I presently have a Boogie Mark IV and have been considering obtaining a Studio Pre, but I've been told that it would be largely redundant as the two have essentially the same lead voicing.

Is this true? Would the Studio pre be pretty much getting the same lead voicing as the Mark IV? I have a 2006 medium Mark IV head by the way.

Thanks.

they sound very similar, so if you want something quite different from your usual mkIV tone, i would look for another preamp (however you could set mkIV for heavy rhythm and studio pre for leads, if your idea is to have two lead channels with the same vibe and voicing but different settings).
But you should ask to Nick_cor, he's got a mkIV and a studio pre too

I played a studio pre rack setup for 15 years. I ditched it last year for the ease of a combo. A MKIV. My tone pretty much stayed the same.

Scott.

Hey

I have both, studio pre and mark IV, I find that the mark IVs clean is almost the same as the Studio pre.

But as for the Rhythm section, It cannot compare, the mark IV can get the same tone as the studio pre beacuse the mark IV is very verstatile but not the other way around, the mark IV lead channel can get you a fat clean tone -bluesy tone- crunch tone - heavy metal lawn mawer tone. The studio pre just doesn't have enough sizzle to compare to the mark IV.

All and all I think it's a great preamp to add another channel, and I'm considering picking up a 50/50 and another cabinet and fusing the mark IV and the pre together to get a really bad *** rhythm tone. Maybe get a T H I C K bright sizzly tone with the Mark IV and get a tight low end dark tone with the Pre or something, anyways if you get a chance, try it out! or better yet, the quad is another choice :)

Back