Boogie Express 5:50 Tone Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To clarify, the "metal" tones that my 5:25 gets without pedals is old-school 70s and 80s metal, rather than the thicker, bassier down-tuned metal that is popular with some today.

The Express amps won't do numetal unassisted, but they will get you some older, middier metal tones.

Steve P said:
To clarify, the "metal" tones that my 5:25 gets without pedals is old-school 70s and 80s metal, rather than the thicker, bassier down-tuned metal that is popular with some today.

The Express amps won't do numetal unassisted, but they will get you some older, middier metal tones.

well it all depends on your defintion of "metal"- "old metal" & "numetal" don't it.

I've put new and better tubes in my 5:50 to give higher gain and I use it thru a closed 2x12 cab fitted with V30's. Even when played thru my Gibson SG it don't get close to what I'd call metal anything unassisted. It does great AC/DC, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Audioslave etc - rock/heavy rock tones but none of these guys are "metal" IMHO.

M67Chucker said:
Steve P said:
I own an Express 5:25 and also tend to use the crunch setting on channel one for my rhythm tones, and save the burn channel for lead tones (or sometimes use a low-gain blues setting on channel 2 for an alternate clean).

I think I will wind up setting up both channels in a clean setup, the first very clean, and the second blusey clean. Then I will invest in a powerful metal pedal to get that heavy distortion sound through the clean channel. Hopefully this will work to plan.

I second the Blackstar. Real tube signal path and direct outs. I played one at Guitar Center and I'm sold.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht/htdistx.html

Latest posts

Back