Blue Angel and pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kortlanda

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the Blue Angel sounds good together with OD-pedals? I'm thinking of buying a BA after reading good things about it, but would like to have the ability to get some variations in the overdrive. I'm not looking for heavy metal, but rather a MkIV type sound. My current OD pedals are Carl Martin Hot Drive'n Boost Mk3 and Carl Martin Quattro.

Mine loves pedals, great amp!! More versatile than it would appear at first glance and VERY easy to dial for both single coil and humbuckers. These are an overlooked gem of the Mesa line IMO. I think of it as a Fender Deluxe Reverb and Vox AC30 in one box with better build quality than either. The Simul-Link setting is just the fins on the Cadillac!! :D :D

I have to agree. I only use a TS9 with mine, for a tad of boost. I'm not into high gain anymore except when I drop her down to 2;6V6's and crank her wide open a few times a night. Smooth dripping real tube distortion. Mine still has the stock (seven year old) tubes, too. I've got spares whenever she's ready, but mine was really barely played until I got it in the Spring.

I use all three tube settings at every gig, but stay most in the 4;EL84 mode.

The Blue Angel is the best kept secret in amp land. You have to own one and gig it live a few times to understand what it will do. Or actually, what it WON'T do.

It won't sound bad.

Best of luck.

A Blue angel sounds very sweet when cranked a little, especially in 6V6 mode (I use a Godin LG with Tetrads) I also have got a TS-9 with brown mod and for me this combination doesn't sound as good my JCM800 which I use as a fully crancked amp. (One trick pony, but a very good trick)
I use my TS-9 for "a little extra" on both amps, but I'm curious if there is a pedal that can make my BA sound like my JCM. If I can find any I will swap my JCM for another BA and start a stereo set up.

I like to try an OCD, but I'm not gonna buy one "just to try". I'm looking forward to other suggestions

Ok, I bought an OCD "just to try" and my TS9 is up for sale. :wink:

This is a way better option than a TS-9, it is more smooth and singing. My JCM is being modded by CMW amps so I can crank it at lower volumes and the JCM and BA will be my future dual setup (well, for the coming weeks at least... :mrgreen: )

I tried a Marshall Jackhammer pedal with mine the other day.

It was amazing. This would probably get you really close to the tone you are looking for.

I used to have a Bluesbreaker II pedal as well, it was great too. Much smoother than the Jackhammer (which is very smooth), but nowhere near as versatile.

Latest posts

Back