Blowing preamp tubes in my Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired

Reaction score
I've had my Rectoverb (series 2) for about 7 months w/ no problems. About a week after I bought it (new), I replaced the position 1 & 2 preamp tubes w/ new Tung Sol's. Everything was fine until my 1st show with it last week. Half-way through the 1st set, when I changed channel 2 to the "Raw" setting (between songs, not while I was playing) my volume was cut drastically. The 12AX7 in position 2 had blown. I replaced it w/ the original tube that came w/ the amp & everything was fine for the rest of the night.

Turned on the amp for the 1st time since the show tonight & got nothing but crackling & noise. I put it on standby & removed the tube covers from the pos 1 & 2 preamp tubes to check them out. When I took it off standby, the tube in pos 2 started glowing a bright blue/purple. I swapped the 1&2 tubes & the same tube was still messed up when plugged into socket 1. Could this just be a coincidence? I've never blown a preamp tube in over 20 years & now 2 in the span of a week? Both in position 2? Has anyone had a problem like this w/ their Mesa amp? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call Mesa or take it to a Mesa-certified tech. From what you decsribe, it sounds like the preamp tube may have gotten some air inside it. But since it's always V2, it also sounds like there may be a problem with that socket or something. Since you bought it new, it's still under warranty, so it shouldn't cost you anything to have it looked at.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to take it in. I'm just wondering if it's happening when I switch modes. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back