black shadow v30 speakers same as Celestion v30?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elpelotero

Reaction score
How come on musiciansfriend a V30 speaker not only looks different,but is 60watts, whereas on the Mesa Site you get a Black Shadow V30 labeled at 70 watts???

Whats the difference here? WHats going on?

I heard and this is only what I hear.

Celestion custom black shadow 90 are the same as celestion classic lead 80. The difference is another color and name. This means a difference of 10watt in power notation. Now this difference is made by construction of the cabinet. Not only the speaker, but the total of speaker in cab determines the power handling of a speaker. Thus, the design of the cab compensates for the power difference.
Back to your v30; perhaps something similar ?

Every company modifies vintage 30 speakers to their needs.
I have original Celestion V30 speakers and this are 60w.
All vintage 30 speakers in Mesa amps are modified and bring bigger low and are rated at 70w.
There is also a difference with original Celestion Vintage 30. Those made in England sound better then the ones made in China. So, beware what speaker
you're buying...

The Black Shadow V30s are Celestion V30s.

Since Celestion can't control for all the potential environments their speakers are used in they choose to rate their speakers conservitively. Since companies like Marshall and Mesa know how the speakers are going to be used (in a Mesa or Marshall cab), they can rate the speaker handling as higher that what Celestion gives it.

Also, the Black Shadow V30 is still made in England. All other Celestion V30s are now made in China and use a slightly different (faster drying) glueing process.

fatboy135 said:
celestion are manufactured on china??? why??? If they have the factory on Uk to do the black shadows why take another factory on china to do the same speakers??? I don´t understand :?

$$$ + competition

If they didn't move their manufacturing to China they'd loose too much business to other companies that can produce a speaker of equal quality at a fraction of the price.

but they really saves such quantity of money to open another factory to do worst speakers??? I think that it is a nonsense. If you build your speakers for boogie, marshall and other brands in a good installations why you want to open another factory to do the speakers worst??? I think that we want to advance in our lives not to get steps backs doing a factory in china with low cost materials...
And what about of celestion that becomes with my marshall stack??? Is it from china too :cry: ??? It was so expensive :cry:

Hey, people, do you really think that chinese worker is worse than US or UK worker? No, he is not. He only gets paid a lot less. The whole know-how in the chinese factory icomes from Celestion and they also control the quality of the output. If the same quality materials are used, then the speaker can not be worse.

By the way, there is "Made in England" on my Celestion V30 bought new this year in a local store.

But all-chinese enterprises are a different story...

Fatboy, you can not simply shut down a factory as you wish. There are machines and people, that are experienced. This has cost the company a lot of money...Also the UK factory was there first.

And second, the main reason is IMHO the manufacturing capacity - something is made in UK, something in China...one factory would not be enough.

I read on another forum that only the Celestion Blue Alnico is made in England.

Dave at Avatar Speakers, www.avatarspeakers.com told me that the Vintage and Heritage 30's that he sells come from China. He said that he has not had 1 customer complain about the difference in tone.

It would be very interesting to know where each model comes from.

I don't think that Celestion would allow the process to be any different, gluing time, etc. Why would they. It would not cost them anymore to simply show the Chinese manufacturer how to do things to their specs. They might have already known how simply from cloning them for years.

I don't think they had to open a factory either. They probably looked around and found a factory that was already making decent speakers, had the right equipment, and could be trained on how to make Celestions.

A really good example of this is Plasma TV's. I design and build Home Theaters, Home Audio Systems and Lighting Control/Home Automation Systems. Most plasmas are made by the same few manufacturers in China and South Korea to each companies specs. They all look a little different, but lots of them are the same inside. Others shine above the rest because the manufacturer is making them to the name brand's specifications.

I don't like outsourcing, but it has become the way of life for most companies. Countries like China, Indonesia, India, and South Korea don't have the EPA breathing down their necks. It is probably far cheaper to buy off a foreign government than to pay the EPA off (although I have seen it done).

Honestly, if Marshall had their stuff made in China, it might be better quality.

I forgot to mention,

Mojotone has the British Vintage (BV) series of speakers. The parts come from the original Celestion suppliers. They are made here in the US, maybe by Eminence. The Vintage 30 is supposed to be slightly different, but the Heritage and Greenback clones are very close to the real thing.

They are affordable too.

www.mojotone.com

Fatboy, I am honestly afraid, that the difference in price is due to the Mesa/Boogie sticker at the back of the speaker...They have to make profit somehow...

Latest posts

Back