Between F-30 an F-50, please help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedrozepelim

Reaction score
What are the tone diferences between EL84 and 6L6, on clean and distortion?
Also, one can tell the diference in bedroom levels or just with the amp cranked up?

One man's perspective.

F-30 - Really good clean, kickin' gain, more aggresive
F-50 - GREAT cleans, good overdrive, slightly bigger sound

If cleans are more important, go with the F50, if gain is more important, F30. Both overlap in terms of quality so you won't be disappointed in either.

pedrozepelim said:
What are the tone diferences between EL84 and 6L6, on clean and distortion?
Also, one can tell the diference in bedroom levels or just with the amp cranked up?

TheRazMeister said:
One man's perspective.

If cleans are more important, go with the F50, if gain is more important, F30. Both overlap in terms of quality so you won't be disappointed in either.

I think that F-50 is much better for gain. Bigger sound, kind of a recto but fatter and smoother. But you said it, one man's perspective :)

I don't mean to dispute your opinion, but here's a story.
Sitting at a music store trying out amps (and trying to like the F50 AGAIN!)
I played with it for about 15 minutes and got good sounds out of the gain channel, but not great. (Clerk #1 helping with settings)
I plugged into the F30 for grins and start playing.
Clerk #2 walks over and says "what are you playing though?"
He sees the F30 and remarks, "I'll have to check out the little guy, I didn't think the F series could sound like that!"
To clarify, I play a Neal Schon/Michael Schenker style and don't necessarily need the recto grind. but I LOVE an amp that reacts to my playing and doesn't die out when ripping out notes.
I've tried 5 different F50's over the last 2 years and really do want to like them because of the clean tone....They just don't compare to other Mesa's in the overdrive department.

F50user said:
TheRazMeister said:
One man's perspective.

I think that F-50 is much better for gain. Bigger sound, kind of a recto but fatter and smoother. But you said it, one man's perspective :)

TheRazMeister said:
I play a Neal Schon/Michael Schenker style

That's the point. I play John Petrucci style. And I think that F-50 was better than a Recto or anything else. Haven't tried a Mark IV though. Costs too much. :)

Back