Better roadster sounding with krank cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

existenz

Reaction score
I was wondering has anybody tried to run mesa roadster through a krank revolution 4x12 (eminence V12 Legend) cab?

I'm now heading to test a marshall and mesa 2x12 and rectifier 4x12 cabs, but if anybody has any recommendations
on any other good cabs under the roadster, please reply!

The things that I'm looking for are good, thick and heavy sounds but with no bluring. After all I'm not a bass player ;).

existenz said:
The things that I'm looking for are good, thick and heavy sounds but with no bluring. After all I'm not a bass player ;).

sounds like you need an old school boogie metal grill cab.

You won't find much love for Krank around here for the most part. I can't really comment because I've never played any of their stuff. I would definitely check out a 4x12 Roadster cab if you can. My thoughts are, if it shares a name, chances are that it was meant to go together.

Unfortuneately, they don't make a 4x12" Roadster cab (yet) but they make 1x12" and 2x12" Roadster cabinets. Let me just say that using 2 2x12" cabinets as opposed to 1 4x12" is much better in many ways. The 2 most important benefits are: less back pain, and a tighter sound. Enjoy.

JimAnsell said:
existenz said:

I second the metal grill cab. The top rear cover is removable, which gives you nicer, louder highs for cleans, while retaining most of the Mesa lows.

I have A/B'd my Dual Rectifier through my Mesa traditional recto 4x12 (now called the Stiletto cab) and my buddy's Krank Revolution 4x12.

My thoughts....even though the Krank cab is an "oversized" cab and my mesa is the traditional 4x12 dimensions, I thought that my cab had more bass response and dynamics. The Krank certainly wasn't a bad sounding cab and the Eminence speakers are nice. I just happen to prefer the Mesa cabs.

Let me at least caution you not to buy into the "our cabs are solid wood. you wouldn't buy a plywood guitar would you?" hype that Krank puts out. The tonal effects of wood used in a guitar vs. wood used in cabinet contruction are totally different. I wouldn't play a poplar guitar either (the wood Krank uses for their cabs) so what are they trying to say?

Try to play both, preferably side-by-side, and see what you like better.

PC Biz said:
JimAnsell said:
existenz said:

I second the metal grill cab. The top rear cover is removable, which gives you nicer, louder highs for cleans, while retaining most of the Mesa lows.

Many thanks for your informative posts here!

Hmm, well presumably this old school cab is no longer in the market, as in new cab, but what do you think of the rectifier 2x12 Vertical Slant for the mission or the 4x12 road king slant cab? The latter one has at least an opening on its back.

Btw, what was the model name for this old school metal grill cab?

I'm a firm believer in the Recto "Traditional" sized cab, now called the Stiletto. I run both my Dual Recto and my Roadster through those cabs and they sound great! Give 'em a try if you get a chance. They tighten things up a bit over the standard recto cab but still gives plenty of low-end thump.

I doubt they will ever produce a Roadster 4x12. The Roadster and Stiletto 2x12s are made to be the same width as their respective combos, so you could take a Roadster combo and put it on top of a 2x12 and have an aesthetically pleasing halfstack.

My other guitarist has a Krank Revolution cab, and I've ran my recto std. cab and his krank cab with my triple simultaneously.

To me, the Krank has a much darker sound than the V-30 loaded Mesa. My Mesa has more punch, and volume, and I like the low end of mine better than the Krank Cab. I thought about buying his Krank cab, and using it with my Mesa, since he's just bought and recieved 2 Black Tolex Orange 4x12's, but after playing them both, I made up my mind that I am going to eventually get another Mesa cab. To me, they just sound better. And the build quality of the Mesa is better than the Kranks as far as the tolex, and wood is concerned. One thing I do like though is that they have metal corners, unlike the more-fragile leather mesa corners. But, both mine and his cabinets are in live-in flight cases, so it doesn't really effect anything.

-AJH

Whoops. Not sure what I was smoking the other day when I made that post. I think that I was thinking Road King. :oops:

:lol: :lol:

I would not even waste my time with cabs other than Bogner. For the metal heads this is what Hammet uses / used for years. With V30's, its killer, and matches with the MESA head better than the Mesa Cabs!

Woody, solid goodness

Fixxer6671 said:
:lol: :lol:

I would not even waste my time with cabs other than Bogner. For the metal heads this is what Hammet uses / used for years. With V30's, its killer, and matches with the MESA head better than the Mesa Cabs!

Woody, solid goodness

Interesting, I never really considered bogner, nor heard any pros/cons from their products, as a respectable cab producer, but I guess I should go and try it aswell. I'm also struggling with the 2x12 or 4x12 issue.

I'm not all that into playing metal though, but more of that heavier stuff and progressive also. And no, I don't mean Dream Theater here.. So the need between 4x12 and 2x12 is a bit vage. If I can get the heavier stuff out from a 2x12 with juicy bottom but with no blur I would be extremely happy.

On a side note: could the roadster tiny 2x12 perform even near this task?

It's not a fun thing to spend thousands of dollars (in this case euros) in a machine to only be pushed through a crappy cabinet! :?

(Yeah, I know: test test and test. But asking for an opinion isn't wrong, is it?)

Latest posts

Back