Best way to use rack tuner?, Dual Rectifier 3 channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durdentk

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a korg dtr 1000 and i am trying to figure out the best way to hook this up to my dual rectifier 3 channel amp. Would it be best to go through the effects loop? ( how would i do this by the way, i do not quite fully understand what to set all the dials on the back on the effects loop to for this to work properly, more specifically to get the mute function working on the tuner) or should i go instrument to tuner then to the front input of my amp? Thanks guys!

I wouldn't run it that way because then the tuner is in the signal chain which is seldom a good idea. With my Mark IV I run the Recording Out to the Korg DTR-1 input, this way it's on all the time but it's not in the signal chain so it won't alter your tone in any way. On the DR if your not using the Slave Out for anything else I would use that to drive the tuner that way the tuner will be ON all the time without effecting the tone of the amp, and it frees up the loop for effects that belong in the loop.

t0aj15 said:
I wouldn't run it that way because then the tuner is in the signal chain which is seldom a good idea. With my Mark IV I run the Recording Out to the Korg DTR-1 input, this way it's on all the time but it's not in the signal chain so it won't alter your tone in any way. On the DR if your not using the Slave Out for anything else I would use that to drive the tuner that way the tuner will be ON all the time without effecting the tone of the amp, and it frees up the loop for effects that belong in the loop.

This is the best way. Although you can't MUTE during tuning. Thats a drag.

I've recently been unplugging and sticking it in the tuner live. The reason being the tone is so much better going direct in. It helps that I'm not drinking beers, because you have to be quick! :lol: Pain in the @ss though....

t0aj15 said:

Yes, but then the mute function is not working.

If the signal is colored by the tuner, then a true bypass box would be the solution. Set the tuner to mute-mode and use the TBP-box to either bypass tuner or use tuner and mute signal. An A/B-box works too.

so basically if i use the tuner in the effects loop there is no way to get the mute function to work fully?

durdentk said:
so basically if i use the tuner in the effects loop there is no way to get the mute function to work fully?

Try hitting the amp on standby but I don't think it'll work. Doesn't the Roadster have a tuner out? Cool feature! I had one on my Herbert. Way cool! 8)

durdentk said:

If you dont have a modded series loop in your Recto, then the answer is no. Put it between amp input and guitar and get a A/B or TBP box if it colors your tone too much.

t0aj15 said:
Wouldn't recording or slave out (if connected to the tuner, which constitutes a - very little - load) affect a little bit the main out (that's the signal path to the poweramp) since the signal coming from the preamp is feeding two different circuits instead of just the poweramp? I just want to know if it ideally works that way, then I figure it would be a barely noticeable (if noticeable) effect.

Leave the signal path of the amp alone. The best options mentioned above is a simple A/B box, or direct through the tuner. If it effects the tone of your guitar then the A/B box. If it doesn't effect the tone of your guitar then in line, but make it the first thing you plug into, then on to the effects.

Here's how mine is set up:

Mesa's FX loop - GSP2101 input
GSP2101 left out - Mesa's FX loop in
GSP2101 right out - Tuner

I don't have the option of muting, but it's not in my signal path. Flipping standby won't work because there's no signal. When I tune, I just hit the clean channel, and turn my volume down.

+1 for A/B box. It's a bad idea to put that tuner in your chain. You don't need that Boogie tone muddied up by tuner circuitry. Bleeeggghhh! You can get - or better yet MAKE - an A/B box that'll do just what you need for pretty cheap!

the way i used to do it before the roadster was with a morley aby switch..... just keep the korg on the mute function and you should be fine.... i think if your dont go that route just use the slave out.... the effect on your tone is so minimal, that only the super picky could find a difference.... i would try the ab switch first..... i'd try and find soemthing with a little quality like the morley or the radial switchbone.... i found some other "cheaper" switchers to suck the life out of any amp i was using.... the morley at the time was the best for the price but the radial products are awesome

jdurso said:
the way i used to do it before the roadster was with a morley aby switch..... just keep the korg on the mute function and you should be fine.... i think if your dont go that route just use the slave out.... the effect on your tone is so minimal, that only the super picky could find a difference.... i would try the ab switch first..... i'd try and find soemthing with a little quality like the morley or the radial switchbone.... i found some other "cheaper" switchers to suck the life out of any amp i was using.... the morley at the time was the best for the price but the radial products are awesome

How does the tuner out work on the Roadster? Is there a mute or something on the amp?

This is exactly why I ditched the DTR-2000. You can't mute it and I'm not buing a A/B box for it. Why would I put a switch on my pedal board when I can just put a tuner there instead? And I never have to walk across stage or turn my back to the crowd to tune. IMO rack tuners are a waste of money and a waste of rack space.

Oh and if anyone wants one I have the DTR-2000 for sale lol.

I've got mine (DTR-2000) in one of my Axess GRX4 loops. BTW... The DTR-2000 has a mute function that's foot switchable if you have the right sort of rig.

By using the the Recording Out jack on my Mark IV to feed the input of a DTR-1 tuner it allows me to have the tuner on full time without it being in the signal path and allows me to silently tune either by pulling the output knob (silent recording) or by switching the amp to Standby. Either way works equally well and there's no need for an extra useless A/B box or more unwanted cable in the signal path.

t0aj15 said:
By using the the Recording Out jack on my Mark IV to feed the input of a DTR-1 tuner it allows me to have the tuner on full time without it being in the signal path and allows me to silently tune either by pulling the output knob (silent recording) or by switching the amp to Standby. Either way works equally well and there's no need for an extra useless A/B box or more unwanted cable in the signal path.

Pretty cool! Even more reason for the amp to be on my buy list. :D
I'm wondering if pulling the Output knob might be tricky not to change the volume. :p

Latest posts

Back