Best way to connect 2 heads to 1 cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjk1138

Reaction score
Hi All,

What is the best way to connect two heads to one cab? I would only be using one head at a time, never both
at the same time. Would a simple A/B pedal work, or would I need something like the Tonebone Switchbone?

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

Thanks to all who respond.

The tonebone linked will not work. It is intended for use between your guitar and amp. Line level signals only. The magic smoke will be let out if you use it on the speaker side of the amp.

I don't know if a commercially available unit exists. Somebody else will have to chime in. But......

You are kind of wandering into dangerous territory here. There are lots of products to A/B/Y into the front end and very little for your application. Things to consider are:

1) Are you switching tube output amps? If so, the un-used amp will have to be off in order to prevent an open load condition. Forgetting to do this could blow up your amp.

2) Some amps do not like the speakers grounded to earth and some amps do just this. Make sure both the sleeve and tip on the speaker jacks are isolated and switched.

- Pat.

shytfayse said:
The tonebone linked will not work. It is intended for use between your guitar and amp. Line level signals only. The magic smoke will be let out if you use it on the speaker side of the amp.

I don't know if a commercially available unit exists. Somebody else will have to chime in. But......

You are kind of wandering into dangerous territory here. There are lots of products to A/B/Y into the front end and very little for your application. Things to consider are:

1) Are you switching tube output amps? If so, the un-used amp will have to be off in order to prevent an open load condition. Forgetting to do this could blow up your amp.

2) Some amps do not like the speakers grounded to earth and some amps do just this. Make sure both the sleeve and tip on the speaker jacks are isolated and switched.

- Pat.

HEADBONE from Radial.... easy as that! ;)

Sorry to resurrect, but for future searches on the matter, you can't use the headbone when you are running a delay in the loops, as repeating delays will fry up the OT on the unselected amp. THis is why I sold my SPlawn QUickrod and bought the MKV. I don't need no steenkin' headsweachin'.

What about the Mesa High Gain Amp Switcher multi amp/cab switch?

You can link up to 4 different amps to a single cab or pair of cabs.

you have to remember, if something goes wrong in the switcher, if you dont catch it in time, you will do irreparable damage to your PT, that will if not immediately, cause other problems....it will eventually.

my take on it? just wire your cab for stereo...it's not rocket surgery....and a hell of a lot safer than some head switcher that you're going to pay an arm and a leg for....or for the price of the switcher, you can just buy another cab.

personally, this is a road i just wouldn't even go down...there's really no need for it....

Ive been using the Tonebone headbone vt for about 5 years . I cant say enough about it except its a quality piece of gear . Mesa artist relations are the ones that directed me to it by the way .

Back