Best Vert 2x12 speakers for V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson08

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!, I have not posted here in a while, but have been reading. I came across a trade deal a while back for a MKV head and went for it and played thru my old Trad 4x12 which sounds great, but I wanted a 2x12 for transportation ease, I was looking for the old vert 2x12 halfback, but could not find one around here, then I stumbled across the closed back version so I bought that. Now I am finding out that I really dont like the V30s in the 2x12, too mid heavy and sounds a little box like, so I am looking for the perfect speaker(s) that will work well with the V and maybe a future MK of some sort, I dont really play metal, just the occaisional here and there, mostly classic rock to hard rock. EMI, EV, Celestion, Black Shadows?? Combination of those?? I think the halfbacks had a EV in the bottom, but will it respond diff because the bottom is not closed? Well whats the verdict?? If it make a diff I tend to like the Tweed mode, MKI mode and the IIC+modes. Thanks in advance for the wisdom!!

Heard lots of good things from the combo v30 + c90... like the roadking cab...

I run a EVM12L and a EVM12S in my vert 2x12 and absolutely will never change them! I went through all my speakers with is cab (Eminence Private Jacks, old Vintage 30s, original C90s and Celestion 75s) and the Evs stomp all others! Warm and FAT! I don't think the Vert. 2x12 is the greatest sounding cab though! Always sounded boxy and hollow even after insulating with foam. The EVs make it liveable and besides, it matches my MKV!

I use a Recto Horizontal 212 cab with V30s with my Mark V. It's a great cab. I don't find it boxy at all. If you dial it in right, it can compete with the best of them.

nyeguy said:
I run a EVM12L and a EVM12S in my vert 2x12 and absolutely will never change them! I went through all my speakers with is cab (Eminence Private Jacks, old Vintage 30s, original C90s and Celestion 75s) and the Evs stomp all others! Warm and FAT! I don't think the Vert. 2x12 is the greatest sounding cab though! Always sounded boxy and hollow even after insulating with foam. The EVs make it liveable and besides, it matches my MKV!
Thanks, Yeah EVs were def one of my first thoughts, I know what you mean about the cab, I am starting to wonder the same thing.

satch4u3 said:
I use a Recto Horizontal 212 cab with V30s with my Mark V. It's a great cab. I don't find it boxy at all. If you dial it in right, it can compete with the best of them.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I have played plenty of those cabs and would not change a thing, but the vert cab is def diff, I would assume its the angle on the cab, maybe takes away from needed cab space?? I dunno.

I appreciate the replies I have had, but is there anyone else????? Only two of us here with those cabs????

I prefer my vert ported botton with the beefy 12 in the bottom and v30 on top. It kills my recto horizontal. The vert cab is 15 years old or so and not available anymore.

Back