Best settings when using an overdrive pedal with the Stilett

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojosteve

Reaction score
I run a Suhr Riot into the front end of the stiletto and at lower volumes it sounds great, when its set to giging volume I get a strange nasty pitching/feedback kind of thing happening. I'm thinking this has something to do with the fx loop settings? It seems the higher I set the output and solo volume the worse it gets?

Cheers
Steve

do you run it in the effects loop or in "front" of the Amp :?:

I seem to get the best results when running overdrive like pedals in front of the amp, and I will run all of my time based effects (delay, reverb, chorus, etc.) through my effects loop.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I run the overdrive in the front of the amp and a chorus and delay pedal in the loop. When I try to get decent volume live when using the drive on the clean channel the sound goes weird. My settings on the clean are output at 12:00, master 1:00, eq's are all roughly 12:00 and the loop send on the back is at 2:00.

i am sorry you are having problems here. when you say the sound goes weird what do you mean?? Is there a volume loss? does the tone get thin and raspy?

your settings on your amp seem reasonable to me.

have you experimented with your knobs on you od pedal and or your output levels on your delay and chorus pedals.

try moving around the order of the chorus and delay pedal in your loop.

sometimes certain pedals don't seem to work well in the loop. try putting your chorus and delay in front of the amp just to see if you get different tonal results.

I use a Rackmount G-major in my loop and it works like a charm. I also use a morley HUM eliminator in my loop it seems to make the loop sound more transparent.

Good Luck :)

.. first of all, try it without the pedals in the loop. Maybe this is is where your problem starts. I've had also problems with some pedals, for example the Visual Sound H2o chorus/delay pedal. This pedal is really great, but not so great in the fx loop of the ace when the amp is cranked. It sounds weird, like there's a signal overload goes into the pedal, which the pedal cannot handle..

Channel one, the channel you're talking about, is more sensitive for this problem, because the volume of this channel is (in general) set higher than the channel master of channel 2, ... to compensate the volume differences of the channels..

but... if this is also your problem: 2 solutions.

1, lower the channel masters, not above 10 o clock ..
2, sell the pedal(s) and buy another one that can handle the signal.. (this is what I did. problem solved!)

good luck!

Steve

When I owned that head, I never had the issue you describe

As surferdeac does, I only ran the G Force through the loop, and other pedals from the front. The FX loop is sensitive, and likely being OD'd with your pedal mix

Try linking them all from the front, and you should be OK. It loves pedals that way round

Hey, strange thing happened when I ran the Stiletto into a different cab It worked perfectly! I think for some very odd reason the stiletto doesn't like my 2x12 8ohm Fender cab. Maybe it cant handle the volume I'm running on the Stiletto. When using the 8ohm out on the back of the amp can you use either of the 8ohm ports or does it have to be the right or left? Otherwise the amp is awesome! I had the hollywood mod reversed did not like it at all it took all the tone away and mad channel 2 like a recto.

slightly off topic:

how much did it cost to have the Hollywood mod reversed, or did you do it yourself? My Deuce has it and I think it make the Fluid Drive unusable.

I do like tite gain setting--it does resemble a Recto but with a vintage vibe---Thinkin' I might go for a BB, or an MXR type overdrive/distortion.

I used to have a stilletto trident and at the time I had it I had a tc electronics g system in the loop and the mxr zakk wylde in front. The settings on the od were gain 0-10 % tone 50 % and volume 90 %. A really nice lead sound which seemed to bring out the best in the amp for leads. I was mostly using fluid drive with the gain set at about 5 'o clock.

frets70 said:
slightly off topic:

how much did it cost to have the Hollywood mod reversed, or did you do it yourself? My Deuce has it and I think it make the Fluid Drive unusable.

I do like tite gain setting--it does resemble a Recto but with a vintage vibe---Thinkin' I might go for a BB, or an MXR type overdrive/distortion.

I had a tech here in Scotland who is one of the official Mesa uk guys called Dennis Marshall do the mod and reverse it for me. It was about £100 to get it all done but after he reversed the mod he changed some components to trim the highs and beef up the mids, he also the the MKII c+ mod to my studio preamp which is now far better sounding than my triaxis! Your right about the Fluid Drive it sounds bad with the Hollywood mod. http://www.dennismarshall.co.uk/ thats the link for Dennis I cant recommend this guy enough!!

Latest posts

Back