Best Pick-ups for a Boogie amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about a 500T in a vintage mahogany lps, into an f-50, with 4x12, hellatone 60s.

any opinions on how its all gonna sound??
I should be getting the set or pickups in a week or so.

pmb said:
I have a FRED in my Ibanez JS6000, I don't know for sure what the bridgepickup is. The FRED is nice, but I'm going to chance it because I want more output.
The FRED does real good harmonics and gives nice distortion, but for me it hasn't got enough output anymore.
The cleans are good.
By the way I play it over a mark III.

If you like the FRED, but want more output, the Dimarzio Mo Joe is exactly that.

pmb said:
I have a FRED in my Ibanez JS6000, I don't know for sure what the bridgepickup is. The FRED is nice, but I'm going to chance it because I want more output.
The FRED does real good harmonics and gives nice distortion, but for me it hasn't got enough output anymore.
The cleans are good.
By the way I play it over a mark III.
I bought myself a SD Distortion to replace the FRED.
It sounds nice but I still need to find some new settings on my amplifier to use with that pickup.
The SD Distortion makes my lead sound a lot better

I used to run my Jacksons with 81's in the bridges. That pretty much takes care of the metal. For hard rock you might like a passive better. For punk it doesn't really matter too much but old school punk sounds best through your Les Paul bone stock or a Start with plain old single coils in it.

I made my own "custom" strat out of Highway One which came with SSH. I made it into a HSH with Dimarzios Fred and PAF Joes. I also changed the tuners. Basically, it's a brand new guitar. However, I have to also change the tremolo as it causes it to go out of tune.

Fred and Joe pickups do give a vintage feel: warm and lots of texture. But, they can easily get into "flubby" trouble. Dimarzio single pups in the middle is a killer; sweet, clean tone - not brittle at all.

"what pick ups?" m...is a very general question I think.

I think the final sound are made by= good tube amp, good guitar(good wood,electronic,adjusted perfectly,good pick ups), and good HANDS, SOUL AND BRAIN.

The type of the pick up will affect to the sound of the guitar a bit, but there are lot of things before that, i mean...is a wee detail.

good amp, good guitar, good player. :arrow: **** yeah! 8)

i run the DiMarzio ToneZone, and it sounds really sharp - they're a very clear, high output and sound very raw to me. i really like them...give nice feedback when you want it...

ran a jeff beck through mine and it sounded quite nice too - a much darker, warmer sound.

Any Decent pickup will sound great through a Mesa. Here's my opinion (and opinions are like A$$%#L&s right?) I have a Studio 22 mesa and Subway Rockets. I play Maple FB "88 HM strats which have a Dimarzio super distortion and it can sound just like anything on any album i've heard. I have a Fender Highway One Tele w/stock fender Alnico pickups, I listened to some jam recordings and it sounds just like Jimmy Page, Chili Peppers, SRV. I've played friends stock mid 90's strat w/stock Single coins and it sounds great. Not that I think i'm that great, but the sound is. Pretty much anything decent you plug into a boogie will sound great.
I had a "fancy" Ibanez RG for playing out and that sounded like plywood and strings...not good. With a boogie and a decent guitar, you have the right tools... after that, the tone is really in your own two hands !!!
Gibson PAF pickups sound great too ... like in the Les Paul
Hope that helps !

suppose It depends on the guitar as welland how all the contents complement each other,I mean I was playing a nomad combo for years with firstly an I banes with dimarzio's and that combonation sucked,I then used a custom shop strat with noisless pups in it and that was OK,but I tryed my american deluxe tele through it with standard pups(samarium cobalt noisless)and ohh its sweet.I have recently bought a dual rec and love my tele so Ive upgraded the pups to seymour duncan hotrails in the bridge and a hot for tele neck pickup.....It sounds killer and when your totally shredding and people are lookin and see a young guy shredding through a tele it totally kills them,I also love country so this combonation through my maverick is awsome.I would think about which boogie and guitar!!!

Subwayrocket69 said:
Any Decent pickup will sound great through a Mesa. Here's my opinion (and opinions are like A$$%#L&s right?) I have a Studio 22 mesa and Subway Rockets. I play Maple FB "88 HM strats which have a Dimarzio super distortion and it can sound just like anything on any album i've heard. I have a Fender Highway One Tele w/stock fender Alnico pickups, I listened to some jam recordings and it sounds just like Jimmy Page, Chili Peppers, SRV. I've played friends stock mid 90's strat w/stock Single coins and it sounds great. Not that I think i'm that great, but the sound is. Pretty much anything decent you plug into a boogie will sound great.
I had a "fancy" Ibanez RG for playing out and that sounded like plywood and strings...not good. With a boogie and a decent guitar, you have the right tools... after that, the tone is really in your own two hands !!!
Gibson PAF pickups sound great too ... like in the Les Paul
Hope that helps !

...Yeah, I agree with you...And believe me, I'm not saying the sound I'm getting sucks, because it doesn't...My friend just told me the other day that he thought I was nuts when I asked him if he thought there was anything I could do to get a better lead tone...I'm just trying to get some insight on what pick-ups work best with a Mesa amp...And everybody has been really helpful...I know this is all subjective and that's the cool part about it, you get to hear so many different set ups...I know my hands have a ton to do with the sound I'm getting...Just looking for some ideas to get some better equipment...Thanx guys!

Wow, I can't believe no one is suggesting the SeymourDuncan-2/4. I run these by preference in my 250nt and my lEpi les paul. they soun awesome through my Dr and cab. BUT I did have ALL my tubes changed with one of Dougs tube's set ups.. I seriously get compliments on my sounds just about every gig.

here are two combo's that I like In My RG2550: Evo Bridge and Neck, HS2 in Middle. In my SZ320HB Custom 5 in Bridge, Alnico II in neck with a single coil tap switch in the Pull voloume knob. Playing through a MKIV to a Gmajor in to a Simul395.

nice set up,just read your current amps ursinus,you use a 1x12" cab as well,what dp you think of them,I love mine

Those little 1x12 Theile cabs are awesome. I have one with a C90 and another with a Black Shadow EV. They record great too. My home studio is almost done so I can post some clips soon.

great,how do you mic them,sm57????? slightly off axis

Im back into the studio tomorrow you see,wont be using the recto head as Its in for repair but I'll probably use it with my nomad 1x12" and add this as an extension cab etc

yeh they are really great little boxes of joy,its amazing how they are tiny but sound absolutly huge,the ported front really does wonders for them,its a shame there isnt that many folk usin them

I also use a 2x12" recto cab and it still keeps up with that beast...well there is obviously alot more low end from the 2x12" and more air being moved but yeah there really great cabs

Euan

Like others have said everybody has their own opinion. I've used SD's through my Mesa. I've used Seymour Duncans through both my Jackson and Fender USA guitars.

In my experience:

JB, Distortion, Custom, Jazz, Jb Jr., Cool Rails, Vintage Rails, Hot Rails, Classic Stacks.

And really thats not alot, I've used a couple of EMG's but not long enough to really give an opinion on them. But I've found that the JB is for me, it provides something more that the Distortion and Custom can't do.

But tone desires change through time, so my opinion would be on a JB/Jazz setup or a JB/Cool Rails.

barneyc4 said:
I would say PRS Tremonti pickups.

They have nice bass, not muddy, clear, high output.

+1

i have them in my neck and EMG81 on the bridge, although when i get the chance i'm changing the bridge pickup to the tremonti bridge pickups.

Back