Best Pick-ups for a Boogie amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked emg 81 on my '88 US jackson staight into a mk3 1-12" simulclass w/graphic I was playing old metallica judas motorhead
and i could hear every single note when i hit a power chord

For a MKIV, I like medium to high output pups. SD Alnico II in the neck are nice, Air Zones in the neck are nice, Suhr DSV's are also nice in the neck. In the Bridge, I like SD Custom 5,Screamin Demon, Suhr Dsh, SSH, DSH+, SSH+, Breed, even the Tone Zone and the Original Evolution. For Single coils, I like the HS2's, YJM's, The Suhr 60LP's, The Fender Noiseless Pups. It just depends on the guitar...... 8)

holdsworth said:
Daxman73 said:
I'm looking for opinions that help me determine what work best for my amp...Is there a pick-up that a Boogie amp likes better than others?...I definetly want high gain, but I also want clarity in my chording and serious tone and sustain in my lead work...Any help would be great...Thanx.

Mesa use Anderson H3 pickups to test their amps, so they're sure to complement your Boogie. I heard someone playing a Tom Anderson guitar through a Mark IV while I was at uni, and it was the best tone I've heard in my life, and the reason I bought a Mark IV.

I use Anderson guitars...the H2+ and H3 are absolutely gorgeous into every Mesa I have ever used.

I must say I really dig the Bare Knuckles I put in my Paul Standard recently-$$, but you can look on the bay-they complement my MK IV,but I think it is the Paul /BK combo that gets it there...great combo...I have the Rebel Yell bridge and neck and they are a perfect fit for a Paul-very dynamic..sweet harmonics jumping out all over the place-much like a newer Pearly Gates model, but you don't have to work it as much

Has anyone used a guitar with a Dimebucker in them? I prefer to used passive SDs. Just dont like the idea of an onboard, unadjustable preamp in my pickups.

From their description, they sound like they have better tone than the invader, in addition to better looking (IMHO anyway).

For all my metal guitars, Id like to run the Dimebucker in the bridge, and a '59 in the neck for cleans.

Its the Voodoo '57 humbucker on a lite ash strat for me! You have to play tight so you can put the sound on the edge of breakup and control the distortion with your picking hand. I'm still learning how to do this, but its a great sound. For the higher gain metal sounds, I'm gonna get an equalizer, but a strat with a humbucker is so versatile, its even got a series/parallel pull pot. :mrgreen:

DevilDog48 said:
Has anyone used a guitar with a Dimebucker in them? I prefer to used passive SDs. Just dont like the idea of an onboard, unadjustable preamp in my pickups.

From their description, they sound like they have better tone than the invader, in addition to better looking (IMHO anyway).

For all my metal guitars, Id like to run the Dimebucker in the bridge, and a '59 in the neck for cleans.

I have used them. It sounds leaps and bounds better than an Invader. I really would suggest you look at Bill Lawrence L-500XL. If you really want that "True" Dime sound.

Glad to hear its better thant he invader! Im not trying to nail down Dime's sound by any means (RIP DimeBag). Im just looking for that pickup that, with the right settings on an RKII, will be a perfect match for dialing in all sorts of metal tone!

Thanks

+1 for the Bill Lawrence L500, I had one in an 86 SG and it flat out screams with NO loss of signal when you do bends, very full, clear and thick.

My favorite setup is the same as Seymour's. SD JB/Jazz.... **** nice pickups !

Back