Best pedal with your boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicbox

Reaction score
I owned a Boss Gt-6 for the longest time, but the ditigal edge it gave my boogie really turned me off. I would now like to look into buying a few 'can't live without them' stompboxes to place infront of a nonmastervolume amp. I've been looking at some of fulltones line, the OCD, Fulldrive2, and the choral flange, and would your input on what works and what doesnt! I'd like atleast one REALLY wierd tone, something nasty and narly...anyone have the '70 pedal?

Any other recomendations for pedals that would never leave your board?

THE '70's pedal??? Mu-Tron III envelope filter of course! Made famous by such diverse talents as Stevie Wonder and Jerry Garcia. Don't get the HAZ re-issue! That is a completely different design that doesn't come close to the sound, not to mention being insanely priced for something that falls so short of the mark. The originals go for beaucoup $ nowadays and it can be hit or miss finding one whose photovoltaic cell or whatever its called is still in good working condition. In fact your best bet is to get the current EH version (designed by M.Beigel, founder of MusiTronics), the Q-Tron.

For even wackier sounds, check out MXR Blue Box and the EH Frequency Analyzer and Memory Man! Tube Zipper!

I've heard great things about a Maxon overdrive, but I forget the model designation. Their Phaser is supposed to be the tits, too, although I love my original Mu-Tron Phasor II which I had true-bypass modded.

I've got a Keeley Compressor that sounds great with my Road King...especially on the cleans.

All my pedals are keepers. I have them in my efx loop.
They are at 30% in the mix.

Mmm! Nice sounds.

Tremolo

Flanger

Phase Shifter

Super Octave

Digital Reverb

Digital Delay

The only pedals i'm using right now are my Boss SD-1 and NS-2, and a DigiTech Whammy (original). i really like the SD-1 with my Recto, it sharpens it up a bit. The NS-2 keeps things quiet. The Whammy, well, it does it's thing just fine.

Short answer: none!

Okay, I've been through a lot of pedals in 25 years. And to qualify that answer, I'm using some rack effects with my Triaxis-20/20 (Rocktron Replifex & Intellifex, Line 6 Echo Pro). But over the years, I've sidelined all pedals, even the ones I retained in my rack drawer (FuzzFace, MXR Flanger, Digitech PDS 8000, Banzai Fireball; switched with a Rocktron Patchmate) when I left combos behind.

The one exception: HomeBrew Electronics Compressor Retro (CPR) for cleans, though not while performing. I suppose I'd recommend a wah, if I was still a wah-in' kinda guy (even my Dunlop DCR-1SR is sidelined).

I'm enjoying a more pure, raw, dynamic approach to my guitar playing. Must be the onset of middle-age! But I find that taking the pedals out of the path just feels a lot better, like sex without a condom.

- T

With my MKI, I use the following:

02 PRS Sanatana->Teese Wizard Wah->Peterson Strobostomp->Maxon RCP660 Compressor->TIM->SS Mojo Vibe->80's Ibanez DDL Delay->Smooth and Slim.

I run the Delay and Mojo Vibe through the effexts loop.

This is my must have's. Covers everything I play...

sK

Hey Timbre Wolf,

I like your style.

I've been playing striaight into my F-30 for about a year and loving it. But recently I got a Keeley modded TS-9. At first it sounded like a subtle difference but after I've been playing for a while and I go to turn it off it's like someone's removed a colour from the sound ... a really nice colour.

I'd recommend this pedal if you're looking for a bit of extra edge to your tone. I'm really happy with mine. My LP has always sounded great and now finally my Mexicali Strat has cojones!

My chain is simple as well...Keeley compressor>TS-9>maybe a chorus pedal. Covers everything we play

Strat and Les Paul through LSC 2x12,

Pod XT Live here.

Yeah, I know - digital. And not all of it is usable (as in, I would never run amp modeling over a LSS) but by and large, the effects on this thing are wonderful and I get no tone abberations.

I mostly use chorus, delay, Fuzz Pi, Rat Distortion, a small tinge of compression (very small), and some tremelo. All in the mid 30 range.

Works well for me.

For me it's the Yamaha UD Stomp. Hard to beat for its time based effects (one of the best stereo chorus and delay effects I've heard: using up to 8 parallel delay lines). Not the easiest device to program but the sounds this small box can produce are worth the trouble. Not a 70s box though....

0000000207b.jpg

I've always liked Yamaha's delays. That's why I didn't think twice about ordering a Magic Stomp after a friend of mine highly recommended them.

I don´t like to use several pedals because they do a lot of problems. I only need 3 pedals. A proco Rat to get an extra fuzz sound, a bad horsie wha modded to do the whuaka whuaka sound and a MXR phase 90 to get a warmer clean sound. Nothing else

I recently purchased one of these:

HDB.jpg

for my red stripe MkIII.

I was looking for something to do a good dirty rhythm tone and this thing does nicely. Leave the "wave" (tone) knob basically all the way down. It is a bright sounding beast otherwise. The boost is a nice addition. In the past, I used an Ibanez TS-10 with the gain all the way down and the volume all the way up as a clean boost. Now I can use the TS-10 for a different distortion flavor and use the clean boost from the Carl Martin pedal. It's cool. I have the R2 dirty, the Carl Martin dirty & the TS-10 dirty. Three different dirty rhythm flavors. I am going to incorporate a fuzz to have a grand smorgashboard of distortions available.

Latest posts

Back