Best OD pedal with a LoneStar Classic?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prs_user

Reaction score
Hi

I'm searching for a OD pedal for my LoneStar Classic 2x12, I like sound of the drive channel, but I miss a High Gain sound, like from a Rectifier or a Nomand.
I have seen a photo where Gerry Leonard (aka Spooky Ghost) - was on tour with David Bowie and Duncan Sheik - where he used 2 OD pedals from Boss,
I'm not sure, but I think it was a DS-1 and a DS-2.
I also have tested a Ibanez 808 and a Boss SD-1, both pedals sound nearly or have the character of drive channel.

What is your choice???

Thanks for your help!

PRS,

I use a Keeley modded TS-9 in front of my LSC 2x12 and like it a lot. Something I have been doing lately on channel two is dialing the gain around 3 and backing the drive off to about 9. I used to run both around 12, 1:00. I play a Les Paul and a Strat and its hard to find a common setting that sounds great with both. I don't have time during the gig to be changing settings everytime I change guitars. When I back the drive off, it has a much better sound to me. I can get some extra drive with a compressor or when I want to really hit it, I use the TS-9. When the drive is lowered, I find both guitars have a lot more definition. Other than the OD and compressor, I run a H20 chorus and delay.

Hey !

I have the DS-1 ultra mod (Keeley/Vai) & the Blues Driver (Keeley) pedal along w/ a brand spanking new Mesa Ace 2x12.

For me & my tastes the Blues Driver is the pedal to have. It's thick & more rock then blues to me. The name does not give this pedal justice. This pedal is a Marshall in a box. It can do low gain , but excels at the high gain stuff.

The great thing is that you can play on your dirty channel w/ medium gain & hit the pedal w/ great results. It even sounds great on the clean channel too. It only adds to your sound.

This will make any 2 channel amp a 3 channel one. Easy !

The DS-1 is good , but not the sound I was looking for.

The DS-1 & a TS-9 on the clean channel (amp) w/ low to no gain on the DS-1 is an amazing tone , but not what the pedal was made to do. At least that's what I think.

My distortion on the Ace is so "the sound I was looking for" that I don't need my TS-9 anymore.

I hope some of this helps.

Peace ! Tim

Based on the natural OD on the Lonestar, I'd recommend a Fulltone OCD. I use one in front of my RK, and it really pushes those vintage sounding channels over the edge. Also, lots and lots of flexibility.

RB

On my LSC 2x12 I started out with a Keeley BD-2. This pedal sounds great in low gain. Although this pedal can obtain very high gain, it sounds best lower. To compensate for that I got a Keeley SD-1. This pedal sounds great in mid gain. So what the heck! ... I got a DS-1 ultra from Keeley. This thing is phat and I use it for high gain. Boss pedals sound much better modded. I wouldn't even bother with Stock ones. I haven't tried the Keeley tube screamers, but I hear they're really good. I just worry about the mid hump on tube screamers. I also hear the OCD is a good pedal too.

I've got a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic in front of my Lonestar Special and I just love it. The second channel on the pedal delivers a high-gain crunch. Sounds fabulous.

I finally broke down and bought a Xotic Effects BB Preamp. It sounds great with either my Roadster or Mark IV. I bought it because I liked the tone that Andy Timmons gets with his Lone Star Classic. I use it with very little gain and just over normal level. It even sounds great when used in the clean channels. I also have a HBE "dos mos" dual preamp that I also use. It is a clean preamp that I use when I want to push channel 2 in the brit mode of my roadster. Have fun trying different combinations. Find what suits your playing.

MAY SOUND A LITTLE OUT THERE, BUT I RUN A FAB TONE THROUGH MY LONESTAR AND IT SOUDS AWSOME. IM NOT A BIG FAN OF ELECTRO PEDALS, BUT HAD IT LAYING AROUND AND TRIED IT, PERFECT!!!!

NO NOISE, ALL THE SUSTAIN YOU WANT AND YOU CAN DIAL THIS PEDAL FROM A GRITTY LOW BLUES DISTORTION TO AN ALL OUT HEAVY IN YOUR FACE, FEEL IT IN THE GUT OVER DRIVE. AND YOU SAVE ALOT OF MONEY, THE PEDAL ONLY COSTS ABOUT 60.00 BUCKS. DEFINATELY WORTH CHECKING OUT!
ANY DISTORTION PEDAL DOES THE SAME THING , IT'S ALL HOW THE AMP, GUITAR AND PEDAL IS DIALED IN, AND THE MUSICIAN HIMSELF. IT ONLY TOOK ME 17 YEARS TO FIGURE THAT OUT(LOL). ANYWAY GOOD LUCK ON FINDING YOUR SOUND...........

I've also been trying various overdrive pedals in front of my LSC 2X12. Here's a A/B of the Digitech Bad Monkey and a stock Ibanez TS9. My initial take is that the $39 Bad Monkey holds up well to the $99 TS9. Hard to tell much of a difference. I started out with the TS-9 with all the knobs at about 1 o'clock. I then tried to match it with the Bad Monkey and have the level at about 10 the low at about 1, the high at about 2:30, and the gain at about 12. Used my American Deluxe Strat with G&L pups and a Heritage H150CM with Duncan '59s.

http://www.lintzland.com/music/monkey_vs_ts9.mp3

All was recorded via SM57 to mixer, to soundcard.

A friend of mine just ordered the BB Preamp so I might have the opportunity to ABC these pedals later this week. Out of the bunch, I'd like to settle on one.

In front of my Lonestar Classic I use:

A Hughes & Kettner Tube factor for a clean boost..
A Bad Monkey for a sparkly grit sound (great inexpensive pedal...)
A Maxon SD-9 AnalogMan Mode for a sweet but high gain tone..
(same one Scott Henderson, Micheal Landau, Ed DeGenaro
& other's use...)

Here's the mp3 with the TS9, BB Preamp, and Bad Monkey...

http://www.lintzland.com/music/ts9_bb_monkey.mp3 (it's huge - 22 MB)

Sorry for the sloppy playing...

All the riffs feature 4 tones:
1) Natural LSC
2) Stock Ibanez TS-9
3) BB Preamp
4) Digitech Bad Monkey

Listening and playing more, I've concluded that you get what you pay for...

The Monkey sounds a little harsh and less brilliant the more you compare it to either the TS9 or the BB. I really like the TS9 but the BB is just more clear and articulate. Plus, it has a ton of gain and boost. Turns my LSC into a four tone monster...

Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9, Boss Blues Driver BD-2, and I like basically any Electro-Harmonix pedals especially the English Muff'n

I use a Zinky True Grit w/ my Lonestar Special... to me it is the most organic thing i have ever used but still capable of anything you need it to do.

Xotic BB Preamp sounds GREAT and can give a nice vintage-yet-bitey-without-icepick-highs Marshally-crunch into the clean chnnel. Love it.

I use a Barber LTD Special Recipe in front of my LSC 2x12. It really makes the harmonics bloom with the tone knob at 12 it doesn't alter the tone of my Strat. The SR version has a flatter tone respone than the regular and Silver LTD's.

On channel 2 with drive engaged and Thicker it's gets pretty hairy, although I do have to add some treble to keep things crispy. It has internal pots that I haven't adjusted yet that might be able to compensate.

The pedal really shines on channel 1. I can go from almost transparent to really biting breakup all by adjust the volume knob and pick attack (that's kind of the point of OD's but this one does it really well.)

Also, it does great with the Strats S-1 engaged as long as I lean the tone knob to about 1:30.

I just wish I had an OCD, a BB Preamp, and a Seymour D Twin Tube Classic to compare and see who is really king.

Back