Best multi-effects with a Mesa?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmerel

Reaction score
I'm playing through a LSS and using a POD XT for multi effects - I like the effects, but the unit itself alters the tone even when everything on it is switched to bypass (the unit is not true bypass).

Anybody got suggestions? I mostly use its compressor, delays and tremolo, but like the flexibility to experiment with the other effects. I also don't want to shell out for a TC Electronics G System if I can avoid it.

I got a TC Electronics M-300 off of a friend for $50....they sell new for $200.

Effects sound amazing for its price! It is mostly a delay/reverb unit (very many options of those two, and it is perfect for me as it is all I really want to add to my Boogie), but has quite a few other effects also....they're just not as tweakable.

I'd look into it!

apparently the old rocktron units are very highly praised by mesa users since they *seem* to function best with the parallel units. Many people complain that the gmajor functions poorly with mesas. Don't know about the gforce. i assume the same. I'll get a rocktron unit soon. I just need something to control switching the channels and efx on the fly!

I think that the LSS has a series loop, so don't know how that impacts which units will work.

And doesn't have to be digital - are there analogue multi-effects units?

Elpelotero said:
apparently the old rocktron units are very highly praised by mesa users since they *seem* to function best with the parallel units. Many people complain that the gmajor functions poorly with mesas. Don't know about the gforce. i assume the same. I'll get a rocktron unit soon. I just need something to control switching the channels and efx on the fly!

If by "old" Rocktron unit, you mean the Intellifex, I don't know if they make it anymore—it’s not on the website. I understand they were great and would like to get my hands on one!

The replacement is the Xpression, which I use currently with my Rect-O-Verb head. I think it sounds very good. It's flexible, quiet and relatively easy to use. It contains every effect you could possible need, and it has switchable +4/-10dB I/O, so there's plenty of headroom--or boost--if you need it.

Like all digital racks, it takes a while to get used to how one adjusts the unit's parameters, but it’s pretty easy thereafter.

Rocktron's engineers got pretty carried away with "Hey! Let's make it do THIS, too!" so this unit does lots of stuff, and controls parameters in ways I guarantee that you’ll never bother with for live applications.

The Chorus effect on my unit-- at least wired through my Recto's effects loop -- suffers from some internal feedback. None of the other effects suffer from this--maybe my unit's defective, or I'm doing something wrong. However, the stock factory chorus programs do it, too, not only the programs I've modified myself. The chorus sounds lush and full, though.

I'd recommend trying out the Rocktron-- it sounds very good and it’s an excellent value. And if you ever have a question, contact Jim Chowning at Rocktron. He helped me tremendously.

How do you switch between the efx and such?

I'm looking for a footcontroller sort of device, like john petrucci, where I can click a preset that will change to clean with reverb and delay, then cick another giving me distortion from the mesa with a little reverb, etc....

I really like the G-Major with my F-100 which has a parallel loop. The G-Major is as transparent as they come and the FX are really good. This is my rig:

hal9000GigRig7_10_06.png

cellardweller said:
I've been wondering/shopping around for effect too.

How about the BOSS ME-50?
Or the GT8? Obviously not the schmodeling aspect...but... :lol:

Hey cellar,

I tried the ME-50 thru the loop of my LSS, and it was garbage. I couldn't get a decent volume out of it, even with both send and receive dimed. In front it was ok, but i only used the delay, chorus, flanger. All of which "should" be in the loop.

I gave it to my bro, and bought pedals to stick in there. Not sure about the GT8 though.

Having done a little more digging, the TC G System actually looks pretty impressive (which it would need to be for the price). But I've also read that it introduces noise into the system, which you need to take out using its own noise reduction. Has anyone used it with a Mesa, and is it much better than the G Major?

On Rocktron, that problem you describe on the Xpression sounds worrying. Intellifex's seem to be pretty reasonable second hand, but they appear to miss out some of the effects I need.

Maybe I should go back to the individual pedals route?

cander328 said:
PDad,
What is the max delay time on the Rocktron Xpression?

It is a dual delay with each having a max delay time of 1000 ms (1 second).

timmerel said:
Having done a little more digging, the TC G System actually looks pretty impressive (which it would need to be for the price). But I've also read that it introduces noise into the system, which you need to take out using its own noise reduction. Has anyone used it with a Mesa, and is it much better than the G Major?

On Rocktron, that problem you describe on the Xpression sounds worrying. Intellifex's seem to be pretty reasonable second hand, but they appear to miss out some of the effects I need.

Maybe I should go back to the individual pedals route?

I don't want to scare you away from the Rocktron--it's a nice unit. It's quiet, the effects quality is excellent, and it changes from program to program noiselessly, too. Try to get some other opinions first. I'm going to write to Rocktron to see if there may be something wrong with the chorus in my unit. Good luck!

I do not wish to scare you away from the Rocktron Xpression either - I find mine to be very good generally. However, I have also had some trouble with the chorus on my unit. When attempting to create my own chorus preset, I was unable to eliminate a a very short but prominent delay from the sound, which made it unusable. Interestingly, I found a nice chorus factory preset that did not have this problem. I was able to edit the factory preset to the point that it was identical to my preset without the problem. I don't know why this is the case but it works so I'm almost happy.
I also use a Mesa ROV

Tried a TC G System - sounds fine, but the metal case weighs a ton - nice shiny chrome, but too much hassle to lug around for the price.

Am thinking more seriously about the G Major suggested (they say it sounds the same, without the extra bells and whistles) - how difficult is it to set up the sort of footswitching which hal9000 uses?

Was also going to pick up a separate compressor to go in front of the amp. Already use a separate wah, and am happy with the overdrive in the amp. Think that covers everything?

timmerel said:
Tried a TC G System - sounds fine, but the metal case weighs a ton - nice shiny chrome, but too much hassle to lug around for the price.

Am thinking more seriously about the G Major suggested (they say it sounds the same, without the extra bells and whistles) - how difficult is it to set up the sort of footswitching which hal9000 uses?

Was also going to pick up a separate compressor to go in front of the amp. Already use a separate wah, and am happy with the overdrive in the amp. Think that covers everything?
timmerel, my MIDI switching via the FCB 1010 isn't complicated at all, but the programming interface on the controller is less than intuitive. Once you get used to the programming method it works perfectly well, and you can use your feet. If you're just looking to change patches with the FCB 1010, then you probably don't have to program anything since it will send program changes assigned to each switch per bank and defaults to MIDI channel #1. So, right out of the box the FCB will change patches on the G-Major (MIDI Omni or CH#1 receive). Things get a little more complicated when you want to use continuous controllers or control change messages which involves programming both the FCB and G-Major. Don't worry about it though since Dann'sTheMan and I can help you program it any way you'd like. Check this thread for a lot of G-Major/FCB info: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=975902&highlight=GMajor+setup

If you're curious how I've set mine up, this is how it breaks down:

1) All the channel switching on my amp is taken care of via a custom cable I built that goes from the G-Major to my Mesa F-100
2) I use eight [8] program change switches and two control change messages per bank, plus one expression pedal.
3) My bottom row of four program changes is Clean, Clean + delay, Channel 2 (2nd press for delay), Contour
4) Switch 5 is used for tap tempo all the time
5) The top left four switches are the same channel as the ones below, but setup for solos. For instance, my heavy solos are with the Contour channel, but with a bit of a mid hump, some light reverb and a bit of delay.
6) The last top switch is for tuner mute all the time.
7) I also have a bank that’s for turning on/off each effect parameter in case I feel like using the G-Major as a stomp box, or I need to make a quick change to a patch that I'm using. For example, if the place I'm playing in has bad acoustics, I might change to my stomp box bank and turn off the reverb.

this is EXACTLY the hardware i needed!

Some questions tho.

*Is there any other unit, just like this, that holds more banks?

*Also, is the gmajor the only rack unit right now (vs rocktron and others) that allows for channel switching? I didnt know it had this feature, but it's sick!

*Last thing, you plug all this into the infamous mesa parallel loops and have no problems? :shock:

Latest posts

Back