Best Mic(s) to record the MarkV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjk1138

Reaction score
Greetings to All,

I just traded a Roadster for a Mark V and all I can say is it's unbelieveably awesome. I will miss the Roadster in some ways, but...

I've basically got the Mark V setup with tones that I am pretty happy with (for now...you know how that goes), but can anyone out there please recommend a good mic (or mics) to record the Mark V on the CH 3/Mark IV setting?

Believe it or not, I used to be able to get a good tone out of the Roadster with just one SM57 but I am failing (so far) at achieving this with the Mark V and I would just like to get your opinions. Basically, I am looking for a good all around tone, but I am somewhat aiming for a DT Systematic Chaos sound, which was an SM57 and a Sennheiser 421.

I would especially like to hear from those of you who have experience with recording Dual Recs/Roadsters as well as the Mark V. Please see below for the cabs being used.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

I love the Shure SM7b on the Mark V.

I recorded this album with the Mark V, SM7b, and a Mesa Theile: (You download it for "name your own price"... ie $0 if you like. Press "Buy Now" and enter $0)

http://music.oneeyeddoll.com/album/break

I had the E906 but was not a fan. The SM57 is a classic but I kind of feel like it's a "been there, done that" scenario. But I will check out the SM7b and the Audix.

Thanks Guys!

theroan said:
I find the 906 to be very smooth. Where the 609 is similar but has a little more bite, not in a harsh way though.

I'm curious...how did you position it? And how far away from the grille? I never had any luck with that mic.

Personally, I have used an SM7B and an e906, both with excellent results. The SM7B is sometimes described as a "refined" or "grown-up" SM57, which probably does it some disservice, but is still a fairly accurate description. The nice thing about the e906 is that it is almost three mics in one. With the presence in the boost position, it is an almost identical match to the e609 silver, and can get kind of harsh, especially when using it on something like a Vintage 30. A flat presence setting gives you a very full and balanced sound without the screaming highs, and with the switch in the roll-off position, you get dangerously close to the old Sennheiser 409 sound.

Also, don't overlook ribbon mics. There are several modern designs that have lower preamp gain requirements, and improved reliability and frequency response. A well placed ribbon mic can give your sound serious girth, and mixed with a good dynamic, presents a much more realistic, almost "3D" image of your amp. Check out this vid for an example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzApGNWmVTE

Beta SM 57A works great for me. Compared it side by side at home with a SM 57 and the Beta just worked for me. It picks up a little more of the raw tone...but meh :roll: ..nitty gritties...

Ideally...my mix would be a SM57/Beta SM57 with a Dn421 to pick up the best tone.

SM57 and AKG 414. Those are the mics I used to record the MARK V guitars for THE CIRCLE OF BLOOD. Pretty sick combo right there.

MesaGod666 said:
SM57 and AKG 414. Those are the mics I used to record the MARK V guitars for THE CIRCLE OF BLOOD. Pretty sick combo right there.

Great tones, man. If you don't mind me asking, how was the 414 oriented in relation to the cab? Was it picking up a fairly direct sound, or were you using it as more of a room mic?

Back