best guitar cable

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a couple of different brands - hand-made and mass produced and the one I've had for 3 years now is made by DiMarzio. I initially bought one based on the results of a cable shootout I read. I just A/B'd it yesterday with a hand-made Bayou Cable and the DiMarzio just sounds better. It is not as bright as the Bayou - a good thing with my Strat under gain! And they are priced competitively compared to other premium cables.

+1 for Mogami and Canare cables. You can't beat the price/performance of either of these cables. Replace all your generics with these first, then move up the cable quality spectrum. I wish all the world used either as the bare-minimum go-to cable.

Evidence Audio is my high-end favourite. Superb, balanced, sophisticated.

To me cables are just a link in the chain. They won't make things better, but they can definitely make things worse. People get all caught up in the technical specs and such. I tend to focus on the physical durability first. Unless you're using 30 foot cables (and you shouldn't be - get a wireless unit) "most" cables will sound just fine. After all Hendrix used those cheap old coiled cables and people worship the tones he got. My take is: don't buy cheap junk and don't buy the most expensive hyped up crap either. I'm sorry but $50 for a 10 foot guitar cable is ridiculous. As long as it has good quality plugs, a durable jacket, plenty of shielding to cut out noise and interference, and decent capacitance specs, it will work just fine. If you're that worried about cable specs, get an impedance converter and run Lo-Z mic cables. Their signal specs are far better for long runs. Also, DO NOT use instrument cables between your amp and cab. They are not built to take those kinds of currents and will get very hot and even melt. Use good quality speaker cable of the largest practical diameter you can find. Plugs are extremely important on speaker cables too. If a plug or connection fails that means your high dollar tube amp has no load, and it will fry your output transformer. Not Good at all.

The triboelectric effect, I have heard, is the main cause of cable noise generated when you move the cable. This is a conversion of mechanical strain to electric charge.

It is also possible that the cable, which is after all a big coaxial capacitor, is acting like a condensor microphone. Slight changes in dimension cause a change in capacitance, hence a slight charge flow.

Whichever the casue, good cables don't do this, or at least not enough to be noticed.

Certain cables are 'microphonic' and will pick up handling noise. This phenomenon is NOT confined to cheap cables. The pricey Monster 1000 series, while a good sounding cable (unlike the 500 series IMHO) is plagued with this problem, and is best confined to studio use where one is not moving/running around.

FWIW, I've been using some stuff from Lava Cables, and I really like their products; and the selection of components that they'll build from for your your needs is pretty vast... & VERY well-made cables. I'm definitely going back for more.

My Evidence Audio Lyric HG (guitar) and Siren II (speaker) cables are in the mail. :D Figured I'd upgrade with the addition of my new rig! 8) Don't ask how much! :shock: I believe it to be worth it though! :wink: :idea:

Well... my first post ever... and it's an important one...

I reckon Di Marzio make a **** good lead... a bit pricey... but it passes the cymbal test... i.e. hold a 20" ride cymbal 4' in the air and drop it sideways onto the cable and it won't be damaged in anyway... i doubt i'll be buying another lead for about 10 years unless it's lost or stolen...

i've bought plenty of leads for 1/4 the price and they might last 3months and they'll hum and buzz particularly when you move them... not worth it when you're buying leads as often as you change strings

telestrat3105 said:
i use spectraflex 8)

I have the same Spectraflex that I have had since '94 and it just won't die. I have tried other similar ones but they always die. I want to switch to something like waves, monster or mogami but I can't bring myself to buy another cable until this one dies. I know that the contacts would be better in gold and there is probably better technologically advanced stuff but right now I am in the "If it aint broke..." mode.

Latest posts

Back