Best Delay to run in the FX Loop??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GenoBluzGtr

Reaction score
I am just now warming up to the idea of using a delay pedal (after 23 years of playing dry).

I use a MK IV, play in a cover band (classic rock, blues, country, etc).

I borrowed a friend's Boss DD6. So far I am not impressed.

I don't want all the bells and whistles, just a couple settings. Will normally run at minimal delay and only on Leads or country cleans for slapback. A couple songs will require some longer delays, but nothing resembling David Gilmour.

Analog or Digital?? Brand? True Bypass or does it really matter? Let me know. I am your clay... mold me.

Sounds as though you're going through what I did a couple of months ago..I bought a DD6 2 years ago, and never used all the "extra" stuff on it..So, to me, it was unnecessary. I should have gotten a DD3..
The early DD3's are the best sounding digital delay I've heard... But....
I picked up a Deluxe Memory Man.. To me, it's just really natural and warm sounding. Like you, I only use a room delay, and an occasional slap back, and it does it in spades AND sounds good...Plus, we do alot of Zeppelin, and for that kind of ambience, it works well, and doesn't suck tone or color it..The large pedal is an issue for some, but I only have 2 effects in the loop, and 2 in front of the amp, so it isn't an issue for me..
The DMM is on all the time now, wheras the DD6 I had sat unused....
Try one out and see for yourself, but the analog is the tone I was after...
Good luck!!
ax. 8)

I use the Chandler Stereo Digital Echo. It's a one space rack mount unit. It works very well with my MK III. It's a very simple unit. It has no memory capability or midi. So, it's one setting at a time. It's no longer in production so you'd have to find a used one if you decide you want one.

Another Chandler SDE user here. I run it in the switchable loop. Mostly I leave it on a longer delay setting but sometimes will change it to a slapback echo. Sounds great! I think they can be found used for $200-$300.

If all you're interested in is slapback, there are several analog delays that will cover it well. Otherwise check out the Analogman modded DD pedals, but might be more than you want to spend. http://www.analogman.com/boss.htm#dd3

Latest posts

Back