FX Loop Volume Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a relatively new Mark V Amp. I bought my amp new in June 2015.

My only issue that I am having is with the FX loop. The only effect I have running in my FX loop is a delay pedal (Boss Digital Delay DD-3). The pathway goes like this: Fx Send > Input of delay pedal > output of delay pedal > Fx return. Very simple...

I noticed when I am playing a solo and want to use my delay pedal I click the Fx button on the footpedal. When I do this the volume goes down a little. I have tried this with multiple guitars and it keeps happening. I tried playing around the the send level but it doesn't help. As soon as I turn off the Fx button the volume goes back to normal. This doesn't happen when I use the Reverb button on the pedalboard...only with the Fx button.

Any idea what may be going on and/or how can I fix this?

Thanks!

Mesa512 said:
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a relatively new Mark V Amp. I bought my amp new in June 2015.

My only issue that I am having is with the FX loop. The only effect I have running in my FX loop is a delay pedal (Boss Digital Delay DD-3). The pathway goes like this: Fx Send > Input of delay pedal > output of delay pedal > Fx return. Very simple...

I noticed when I am playing a solo and want to use my delay pedal I click the Fx button on the footpedal. When I do this the volume goes down a little. I have tried this with multiple guitars and it keeps happening. I tried playing around the the send level but it doesn't help. As soon as I turn off the Fx button the volume goes back to normal. This doesn't happen when I use the Reverb button on the pedalboard...only with the Fx button.

Any idea what may be going on and/or how can I fix this?

Thanks!
Have you tried troubleshooting by removing the pedal, and putting a patch cable between send/return? I'm going to guess the issue is with the delay pedal & not the FX loop.

Also, what are your channel master and output settings?

Dom

That's funny because I'm running the same way, except for a carbon copy in the loop, and my volume goes UP slightly when I engage the loop. Hmmmmmm

I don't know anything about the pedal but the Boss may be designed to run at instrument level and the FX Loop works at line level.

The issue is either the setting of the effects loop or the output level of the pedal. I use 2 MXR Carbon Copy pedals with the amps loop output set in the middle and have no issues. I am guessing the issue is in the pedal.

Amp settings?

I have noticed this with some of my old pedals (no longer have them) as well as some old rack units (gave those away too). All of which worked quite well with my Mark III and Mark IV in the loop. You pedal may be clipping the signal from the Mark V hence the reduction in volume. I now use a Line6 DL4 and or a TC flashback triple delay with good results. However, I do get a slight level reduction but does not seem to be dramatic enough to be of concern.

I agree with the others that it's probably the pedal not passing line level signal fully, or rolling off some frequencies, or both. I use a Flashback X4 in the loop and have no issues. When I tried putting an MXR EVH Phaser in the loop it strangled the amp and I could hear the pedal clipping.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Okay so I have read all the comments. I put a patch cable in the Fx loop connecting send and receive and it appears to not lower the volume. This can then only mean that it must be my pedal. The pedal isn't that old (I would say I got it 2-3 years ago). Do you think I just need to buy a new delay pedal, or do I need a "higher end" pedal so that it doesn't clip the signal?

Thanks

Mesa512 said:
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Okay so I have read all the comments. I put a patch cable in the Fx loop connecting send and receive and it appears to not lower the volume. This can then only mean that it must be my pedal. The pedal isn't that old (I would say I got it 2-3 years ago). Do you think I just need to buy a new delay pedal, or do I need a "higher end" pedal so that it doesn't clip the signal?

Thanks

It's not a matter of it being "high end." Get something that works at line level. Lots of pedals are compatible..strymon, TC flashback, line 6, etc..

You could also try an analog pedal.

Grundletaint said:
Mesa512 said:

Thanks

It's not a matter of it being "high end." Get something that works at line level. Lots of pedals are compatible..strymon, TC flashback, line 6, etc..

I can give a thumbs up to the TC Flashback. No tone suckage at all

primal said:
Grundletaint said:
Mesa512 said:

Thanks

I can give a thumbs up to the TC Flashback. No tone suckage at all
+1

I currently use a Strymon ElCapistain in the FX Loop, and did use a Flashback with no issues.

Dom

+1 on the Flashback (X4 in my case). I'm considering the Boss DD-500 though in the near future.

Latest posts

Back