best clean channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vladisglad

Reaction score
Hi. I've done a fair amount of searching the archives, but can't figure it out. guitar center (my only local mesa dealer) told me dual rectifier solo head has better clean than mark IV. i was like WTF??? i suspect this is because they do not have a mark IV for me to try currently. what about the lone star?

I guess you could say I am really looking for shimmery as-close-to-fender clean as possible, and loud for rehearsals and playing out in small to medium venues. I use mostly fuzz boxes and external distortions, so high gain on channel 2 isn't that big a need for me. just the way I do it.

what direction should I go in? I do want a head vs. a combo. many thanks. and i'm posting in the modern amps section b/c i'd be buying new.

I've never owned a MKIV, but I know for a fact that the solo head has the least fender-like cleans of probably any current run Mesa. I've owned a TR Solo head (2ch) and the cleans were ok at low volumes, but not really acceptable IMO. I now have a Roadster and a Tremoverb and they both blow the TR Solo out of the water as far as cleans go. From what I understand, ch 1 and ch 2 on the Roadster are based on the Lone Star. In effect if you want DR Solo gain and Lone Star cleans, get a Roadster. The TOV is kinda its own animal. Cleans are awesome, but it doesn't really sound like anything else. Just my $0.02

Peace

vladisglad said:
I guess you could say I am really looking for shimmery as-close-to-fender clean as possible, and loud for rehearsals and playing out in small to medium venues. I use mostly fuzz boxes and external distortions, so high gain on channel 2 isn't that big a need for me. just the way I do it.
Sounds like you want a Lone Star Classic. I have not A/B'ed against a Roadster or a RK (both the cleans and reverbs are based on the LSC's), but I read and assume they're at least comparable. So you could probably go with either of those, too. But for simplicity, elegance, and BS-free performance like you describe, you can't beat the LSC. If you appreciate a sweet, responsive clean tone, it's unbeatable at this level. It takes pedals nicely, and you get configurable reverb, and on and on.

Obviously, I own one and evangelize a bit; but it's really because I can't rave enough about it. And going with a head config (which I wish I'd done) is also the way to go, I think. The combo is nice, but a nice cab will set you up real good.

thanks yall. i knew guitar center was yankin my chain. 2 really helpful posts.

djw - that's exactly the kind of evangelism i was trying to hear. i need to find one to try!!

holy crap - just read 2 reviews of the lone star. 'angelic clean' is what guitar world said. man. is the lone star classic any different than the lone star. i only see lone star (no classic) on mesa's site.

Here's a really good review of the Classic (LSC):
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0706_MesaBoogieLoneStar.php

And a good one of the Special (LSS):
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/mesaboogie-lonestar-special/Sep-06/23246

The main differences are the output of the LSS tops out at 30 watts, as opposed to 100 for the LSC, and the LSS comes stock with EL34s, vs. 6L6s for the LSC. The LSS combo comes in a slightly smaller cab. I don't think the LSS includes a Tweed setting, but it probably isn't necessary.

The LSC is probably better if you play medium to larger venues, as it really shines if you can turn it up just a bit. The LSS obviously gets there faster, i.e. at a lower volume.

I just played a Lonestar Special and the clean sound might just give my Vibrolux Reverb a run for it's money, although I don't know if I'd call it a "Fender" clean sound.

I wasn't interested in the LSS because I was looking for an amp with more gain.

I bought an Express 5:50 and the clean channel is almost as good as the LSS (More Twin Reverb than Vibrolux Reverb) and I like the high gain sound better.
It's an added bonus that I might be able to use it for clean sounds instead of my Vibrolux Reverb.

I have a Lonestar Classic head and 2X12 cabinet and have owned MANY Fender amps including a Twin and I'm sure the LSC will give you what you want. I replaced my Twin with an Express 5:50 2X12 and that is very nice also. The LSC just has a little more punch and a tighter bottom end. If you want the Blackface sound you really need to stay with 6L6s.

Blue Angel. You can dial just about any clean tone you can name out of one. With the Fat/Bright switch and the Progressive Linkage alone there are 6 distinct and beautiful sounds. Then there are the tone controls, you cannot get a bad sound out of this amp! You will not find a hater for the Blue Angel either, it just makes you smile to hear your guitar sound so good.

Just one great clean channel with 2 - 6v6 or 4 - EL84 or both at once. Fender, Vox, Mesa and more. These are far more versatile than they appear. If you buy carefully you can always get your money back if you don't like it. You will like it.

Jonberrier said:
I now have a Roadster and a Tremoverb and they both blow the TR Solo out of the water as far as cleans go. From what I understand, ch 1 and ch 2 on the Roadster are based on the Lone Star. In effect if you want DR Solo gain and Lone Star cleans, get a Roadster. The TOV is kinda its own animal. Cleans are awesome, but it doesn't really sound like anything else. Just my $0.02

Peace

This man speaks wisdom. The TOV is an awesome amp! It is very flexible with the ability to 6L6 or EL34 power it, but also incorporates channel cloning which enables you to basically foot swtich between any of the 4 modes the amp has. It can get that low end BALLS recto sound but it's secret weapon is the blues mode. K-I-L-L-E-R.

The cleans are also top notch. I owned a ROV and find the TOV to be a more mature version of this amp and more of a refined beast.

I second the recomendation of the Lonestar Classic. Hands down probably the best clean amp mesa has ever made. I'm saving up to get a head as we speak. :wink:

Latest posts

Back