Best cab/speakers for Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chichaca

Reaction score
I just bought a MK IV - my first tube amp! - and I'm very excited (though now I realize I paid too much for it. Wish I had found this forum before I made the purchase).

Anyway, any suggestions as to what cab/speakers I should get to go with it? I like sweet, creamy high-gain sounds and warm, ultra-clean cleans. I'd like for the clean channel to not break up at high volumes.

Hey, congrats! I just got a Mark IV last week. Best amp I've ever owned, kicking myself for not looking into them sooner. I'm currently running a 2X12 cab made by Avatar that I loaded with Celestion Classic Lead 80's. I chose those because they supposedly have the least coloration of the Celestions, and don't break up too easily. I like to hear more of my amp's natural tone as opposed to speaker influence, but that's just me. Seems like the Mesa Celestion Black Shadow C90's were the popular speaker for the Mark's...I find them kinda spikey sounding. Speaker choice has a lot to do with what kind of music you play. Different speakers suit different styles.

Thanks SG! Does anyone know anything about Eminence speakers? The guy who sold me the amp said that's what he's into now. But the cab I played it through when I was trying it out had vintage celestion 30's.

Get your self a 1x12 Thiele cab with an EV12L speaker (new, used, or made by GTS, Boogafunk etc) in it. When I owned a MKIV, I ran a 1x12 Thiele along with a 1x12 open backed C90. Killer combo and dynamite sound!

Matt

Chichaca said:
Thanks SG! Does anyone know anything about Eminence speakers? The guy who sold me the amp said that's what he's into now. But the cab I played it through when I was trying it out had vintage celestion 30's.

I have a 2X12 cab with eminence speakers in it. They are great speakers in my opinion. I don't run a valve amp through it though. Will be getting a mesa mark5 when they hit the streets and will upgrade to a stiletto 4x12 or recto 4x12.

I'll definately keep the 2x12 though. I probably wouldn't get what it's worth if I sold it.

Although I've had (and used) two Thiele 1-12" cabs loaded with EVM-12L's with my Mark IV for eight years now I switched about a year ago to a 1-15" cab loaded with an Eminence Commonwealth, and I've gotta tell ya this thing is AWESOME. It is without a doubt my favorite guitar speaker. IMO it's much better then the EVM-12L though it's a similar type of speaker. It just does what the EVM-12L does only better. More punch with cleaner lows and much better highs, and one of these is as loud or louder then two Thiele's. You can't make it break up either.

Back