Best Cab For Mark V... $ Is No Object!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
OK, you can have any cab for FREE!!!

2 rules:
1. You can only have 1
2. It has to be a new production cab that you can currently buy

-Brand/Model?
-Speaker Choice (remember rule #2)?
-Configuration (1x12, 4x12, 4x10, etc)?
-Cab Design (open back, 3/4 back, closed back, etc)?

Mills Acoustic Afterburner Slanted with Cane Bisquit color grillcloth and V30's. It is closed back 4x12.
I actually might be getting one within the next 4months, yay!

Heritage Softail said:
Why is Mills Acoustic so beloved? Just curious. I have only dealt with Marshall, Diezel, Mesa, Egnater, Carvin.

I'm assuming its because this crowd loves the EV12's and they have a 4x12 that is EV12 loaded.

Just a guess. This crowd does seem to love these Mills Acoustic!

Mills is from Mobile, Alabama. He built his big 4x12 around Vintage 30s, and it is apparently a very nice cabinet - others say it is not as directional as other cabs, and it is definitely built like a brick **** house. There are a couple things about the the cab that other manufacturers do not do, like the bracing on the inside.

Of course the answer to the question at hand depends on what music you want to play. Furthermore, I think the Mark V would sound good with most cabinets, depending on the style of music one wishes to play.

phyrexia said:
Mills is from Mobile, Alabama. He built his big 4x12 around Vintage 30s, and it is apparently a very nice cabinet - others say it is not as directional as other cabs, and it is definitely built like a brick sh!t house. There are a couple things about the the cab that other manufacturers do not do, like the bracing on the inside.

Of course the answer to the question at hand depends on what music you want to play. Furthermore, I think the Mark V would sound good with most cabinets, depending on the style of music one wishes to play.
and when and where. only have time to play @ night? @ home? or anytime, in an arena?

my neighbors have yelled at me for playing around noon on a sat morning (jerks). a 1x12 evm12l loaded port city was enough to piss off people, so loud is not always the answer. if i had a 4x12, that would certainly not fly.

that said, i would love to try a port city 4x12, or 2 2x12's in stereo--i think a 2x12 is a good balance between power, tone, versatility, and mobility. you can use just 1 and do your thing or split em up, stack, etc. since you said just 1 cab, for my needs, i'd take a single regular sized 2x12 port city, loaded with either a 12-65 + v30 or a pair of evms.

mightywarlock said:
if my neighbors ever complained, my amps would only get louder. and louder.

No One Ever Tells ME to Turn Down!

EVER!

:!:

This brings to mind an old song.... I fought the law and the law won....

Good luck with that.

mightywarlock said:

EVER!

When you grow up you will realize (probably the hard way) that things dont work that way.

Hendog said:
mightywarlock said:

EVER!

When you grow up you will realize (probably the hard way) that things dont work that way.

Based on his gear, I'm assuming he is "grown up"... Unless the is one of the most spoiled kids I've ever seen in my entire life of course.

yeah, actually, they do.

I have only had 2 neighbors complain, in many many years, and that I have been playing guitar. When I was a kid, in my mother's apartment, i cranked my Marshall and my neighbors pictures fell off their wall. I learned to be patient and wait until I had a house to crank it.
when I got a house, I lived in a neighborhood that was very active and loud, lived next to rock stars and famous people, and did not give a hoot.
the 2nd time was the first day I bought a Triple Rectifier Full Stack, and decided to see what it sounded like cranked up. It was in the back yard, but right next to my neighbors window. they came out, said about time you got great tone, but I'm trying to study. I respected them, and decided to move the amps inside the house, where I then was able to crank the hell out of them without bothering anyone.

I'm not spoiled, I just choose the correct environment, in my own house, to do what I please. It may sound rude to some, but if you live in an area where there is enough space between your neighbors, and respect the hours you crank it up, (like not playing cranked up at midnight), there is no reason for anyone to complain.

It's simple really.
:twisted:

Now, as to getting back to the topic at hand...

I'm probably going to be selling one of my cabs off soon to make room for a Mills Afterburner v30xk100 cab.

4406cuda said:
I have a pair of Bogner 1x12 cubes. They sound huge and are easy to transport to gigs.
yeah, i really liked mine too! also had 2 2x12 shiva 3/4 closed cabs.

but i was way too convinced on the port city thing. i think it is better and it's an all-purpose cab for now since i'm moving (and getting married) and not gigging.

Heritage Softail said:
mightywarlock said:

EVER!

This brings to mind an old song.... I fought the law and the law won....

Good luck with that.

Once upon a time the law did show up. Told me a neighbour had complained I was too loud. Then said that although he was obligated to ask me to turn down due to the complaint I could still play as loud as I wanted until 10PM.

I am perfectly happy with stock Recto Cabs with V30's or Lonestar Cabs with C90's.

Both sound great to me!

Back