Best(and worst) Decade for Music?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleekster

Reaction score
In your opinion what is the decade which gave us the best and which gave us the worst music of all time....and which genre.

for me:

BEST- 80's metal......specifically early to mid 80's European artists(iron maiden,Dio,Accept,loudness,etc...)and american bands copping the euro-metal sound(Dokken, Ratt,etc...)
honarable mention-Post grunge(modern day hair metal in disguise)from the 2000's
WORST-GRUNGE (90's)
honarable mention-Punk (70's)

The best decade for me was around '83-ish to about '93. Best guitar rock and metal. Worst, just about anything in the last 5 years or "cookie-monster-metal". This is just me but I'm really getting tired of the baby-boomer rock from the late 60's to the 70's also. There was some great music made in that time but if I hear one more cover of Sweet Home Alabama or Born to be Wild I'm going to puke. Time for a new setlist for fck sake. Ok, who wants the soapbox next?

Best-Early to mid 80's Metal (I'm also a huge Euro-Metal guy)

Worst-All that Alternative crap during the 90's.(alternative to what? Good music!?)

For guitar oriented music, I like the late '60s to the early '80s. After MTV got popular during the mid-'80s, the record companies started worrying too much about the band "image" versus the music at hand. I completely agree about the '90s "Alternative to Music" statement, a low point in my book, for sure. :evil: I also agree with the statement about the "played out" tunes of the '70s. Many of these bands had lots of great tunes, but people only play one or two of them, AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Best and Worst: 80's .... Whitesnake, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Motley Crue, Michael Jackson (Thriller), the birth of Dream Theater, Rush (still going strong) ... YAY! Poison, Devo, Corey Hart, Bobby McFerrin, Huey Lewis, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Milli Vanilli... Boo!

You could easily make a claim that the 70's was the worst era for music... and that the 1960's was the best too!

This is a complicated issue. If you talk to many people in my program, you'd probably get an answer like 1750 - 1900 or more about 1915 if you want to include the likes of Stravinsky and Strauss. I recall one of our professors making absolute fun of Guitar Magazine's "Best Fifty Songs of All Time". (Something about all the songs all being chosen from the last fifty years)

Growing up in the 90s, I used to hate the 80s with a passion. The one day, I realized that some of the best bands in a Genre I liked all formed midway through the 80s, hence why they could play their instruments.

I think there are good and bad things about each era and if you don't find anything you like in one decade, you aren't looking hard enough. Although I still like a modern aesthetic better, I get passed things that sound old and listen to the music for the sake of music. I'm glad we have recordings from the 80s. (and prior. Don't forget Hendrix) Maybe some young kids will pick up these records and actually learn how to play the guitar again!!!

YellowJacket said:
This is a complicated issue. If you talk to many people in my program, you'd probably get an answer like 1750 - 1900 or more about 1915 if you want to include the likes of Stravinsky and Strauss. I recall one of our professors making absolute fun of Guitar Magazine's "Best Fifty Songs of All Time". (Something about all the songs all being chosen from the last fifty years)

Growing up in the 90s, I used to hate the 80s with a passion. The one day, I realized that some of the best bands in a Genre I liked all formed midway through the 80s, hence why they could play their instruments.

I think there are good and bad things about each era and if you don't find anything you like in one decade, you aren't looking hard enough. Although I still like a modern aesthetic better, I get passed things that sound old and listen to the music for the sake of music. I'm glad we have recordings from the 80s. (and prior. Don't forget Hendrix) Maybe some young kids will pick up these records and actually learn how to play the guitar again!!!

I agree about there being good and bad.......the problem is that most just except what's popular as being good and pass off everything else as being bad when it's the unpopular stuff that's usually fresh, exciting, innovative and original IMHO....people will come to my house and look at my music collection and go "Dude you need to start listening to some real music....i've never heard of any of these people". i usually respond by telling them that sometimes popular and good are mutually exclusive.

I think decade classification points out trends in music but as far as all time best. I think there is great music and innovative bands from any time period. Even the 90's, the decade slammed the most, had some really great bands and songwriters like Alice in Chains for example.

Of course I love the 80's thrash scene (Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, etc...) and I've really been more of a metal head since, but..... I'd really have to go with the 70's for the likes of Nugent, Rush, Floyd, Kansas, (old) Van Halen, AC/DC, Led Zep.

90's kinda sucked, but yea Alice in Chains, DT and Pantera.
2k's: umm.... uhhh :?:

I'm a big thrash metal fan so naturally I would say my favorite music was made in the 80s. I also think some of the worst crap of all time was put out in the 80s but I think by far the worst music is being made right now in this decade. It just seems like everything's so watered down and the live feel that you used to get on older records is not there or like a lot of the rawness is gone I guess you could say. Not to mention the emo screamo cut myself crap. I'm almost a little nervous of how my kids are going to turn out, me being a young guy and everything I dont have any yet but I just hope they don't want to wear skinny jeans like my nieces and nephews. Their hair and clothes all look the same so I'm never sure who looking at unless I'm staring them right in the face :?

My best: '62 to '72.
Disco was the death knell for rock.
Since then, and accelerated by MTV, it's all about hair and makeup, with **** few exceptions. :(

You guys sound like a bunch of old cranky farts in here :D !

gts said:
There will always be nuggets of good stuff during crap years.
I think this is one of the key points here. Good music prevails regardless of what is currently popular you just have to keep your ear to the ground and turn off the radio. The 80's had some of the most offensively bad popular music of all time, but it's also responsible for some of the best counter-culture music...countless seminal records that still reverberate through the metal, hardcore and punk scenes today.

And as for the comment about metal sucking today...i call bullshit. Metal is in one of the best places it's ever been and if you aren't hearing it, you either aren't trying or you're content to live in the past. It's not all "cookie monster vocals" and screamo (btw, cookie monster vocals have been in use since the late 80's :wink: ).

(btw, cookie monster vocals have been in use since the late 80's ).
And much like disco, they sucked then, and they still suck! :lol: Of course there are some good newer bands. Just not in the numbers there used to be. Back in the 80's you had the real guitar heroes. Now 95% of guitarists play in drop C with the gain dimed so you cant barely make out what note is being played. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Vai, (the list could go on forever) all managed to play heavier than anyone had before and were still melodic, had very complex song structures, great lyrics, and played the majority of their songs in standard tuning (used their bassists). I know this specific genre of music is not everyones cup o' tea but you cant deny the huge ammount of talent that came out of these 4 or 5 years. Much like the talent explosion in the later part of the 60's. There really hasn't been another wave of new musicians of this caliber in the last 15 years. Unless you include the alternative group (and I don't).

Best: 80's... There is no comparison. Metal was awesome back then and still underground. Thrash metal FTW!

Worst: .. Guess what? 20's. There is much more alternative crap and metalcore than ever plus jonas brothers,my chemical romance,tokio hotel and all that junk. Lot of good bands doesnt even exist to this day.. new bands come out but they dont have the feeling like 80's metal bands had in their music.

Like in Kreator song "Love Or Hate Us" from 1989 album Extreme Aggression:

"Some have eyes
And still can't see
Their plastic noise is
Anything but music to me
Mechanized and computerized
Switch off your brain and
Make sounds that dehumanize"

ryjan said:
(btw, cookie monster vocals have been in use since the late 80's ).
And much like disco, they sucked then, and they still suck! :lol: Of course there are some good newer bands. Just not in the numbers there used to be. Back in the 80's you had the real guitar heroes. Now 95% of guitarists play in drop C with the gain dimed so you cant barely make out what note is being played. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Vai, (the list could go on forever) all managed to play heavier than anyone had before and were still melodic, had very complex song structures, great lyrics, and played the majority of their songs in standard tuning (used their bassists). I know this specific genre of music is not everyones cup o' tea but you cant deny the huge ammount of talent that came out of these 4 or 5 years. Much like the talent explosion in the later part of the 60's. There really hasn't been another wave of new musicians of this caliber in the last 15 years. Unless you include the alternative group (and I don't).

So you are going to exclude an entire musical movement because to include them doesn't support your argument!?

Basically, virtuosity went out of style in the 90s and it hasn't come back in yet. Just because music isn't extremely challenging doesn't make it good or bad. Simple and good can and does exist. Look at the Beatles. Sure, they may be underwhelming now but consider their place in history. I think if there is too much of an emphasis placed on chops, we run the risk of turning into a conglomeration of cork sniffing snobs, which is exactly what the classical scene has been for hundreds of years. Trust me, I have more than one foot in that world and the stench is starting to overwhelm me.

On one hand, we should be glad that there is less expectation on us. It makes life easier, trust me. On the other, virtuosity is inspiring and it is good to hear people who have a reasonable command of an instrument. Sure it is all fine to get stuck in a decade--most classical players are still stuck in the nineteenth century--but how should we go about moving music forward? Sure eye makeup, tight jeans, died black hair, and stupid thick framed glasses are absolutely ridiculous. Come one, massively oversized Jeans and mushroom cuts were also ridiculous, not to mention poofy hair and mullets. What about a bullseye painted on an excessively pointy guitar? It is rather absurd. We can make a simple assumption here, teenagers like stupid things. Popular music concerts are about entertainment and performers who are successful have larger than life personalities. They put on a bit of a clown show. It isn't fair to hate on this generation's clown show, just because it is foreign to you and you've moved on. Don't you guys think the pseudo opratic countertenor schtik is a little silly? (aka classic metal vocal) What about the 'growly angry voice' ca. 2,000 AD? They are all very poignant aesthetic statements but we really need to look past the surface crap to appreciate the art for what it is. My dad grew up in the 60s and he is stuck in that generation. I don't think I am off in my feeling that a lot of people who post here were in their formative years during the 80s. My experience was in the 90s. I was awkwardly trying to talk to girls and dressing 'cool' when Nirvana was big. Sure I though that music was awesome but I can't stand it now.
I guess it is slightly antagonizing to read post after post about all the 'terrible modern music' when I don't really hear any examples of why it is terrible aside from aesthetic preference. (what is complex about song form and standard diatonicism with pentatonically derived melodies? About five decades before this, Schoenberg was busy experimenting with 12 tone writing and several centuries before that, Beethoven was experimenting with form in his late string quartets) As some of you have pointed out, the popular music of every generation is absolutely terrible so you can't compare the good of the 80s with the bad of every other generation. Radio rock has always been crap! Sure the death of guitar virtuosity is tragic, but there has to be something more substantial than this. I have heard modern music that is very well done save for the gaping whole where there should be a guitar solo. Maybe it isn't in the metal genre but who cares.

Take heart though, all is not bad. There will be a generation of young players who sift through their dad's CD (or even tape) collections, rediscover the treasures of lost years and actually attempt to learn guitar.

I guess I think that we should take all music with a grain of salt, even if we don't 'get it'. My thoughts are that if someone manages to apply some of the virtuosity (skill) of older music with some of the aesthetic points of the present, there may be something entirely fresh that transpires as a result of it.

So you are going to exclude an entire musical movement because to include them doesn't support your argument!?
I'm not supporting an argument. I'm just voicing an opinion. But yes, I try to exclude alternative music in my life.

Back