Best(and worst) Decade for Music?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm I have a hard time picking a best and worst. Like gts was saying about nuggets of good stuff, I think every decade has had bad movements of music that come out while there is still something awesome going on somewhere.

I agree with MF about turning off the radio. I never listen to the radio to find out what's new. There are so many resources to find great music.

Now if you are talking popular music...I think the worst time in popular music has been from the late 90's when all the boy band crap started to now and it's still continuing.

There were equally good and crap music in every decade. I just hunt for the good ones and listen to those...

90's had Mr.big and Extreme, plus Dream Theater. Yeah they formed in the late 80's but i think of them as 90's bands.

Circus Maximus formed in 04 and they are amazing. Plus Angra's temple of shadows and Aurora Consurgens came out in 04-06 and there 2 of my all time fav albums.

I can't really pick a best and worst, i have all time favorites from the 70's all the way up till th '00s.

The best overall was the 80's. 80's pop/rock was the best.

90's were terrible.

Mid to Late 70's hard rock was great. "AC/DC, THIN LIZZY etc"

For myself I would say the 80s, simply because of the never ending line of synthesizers and drum machines trying to
harness the power of midi. Midi is truley one of the greatest "tool" that was given to us to an extent. Yet during the
80s it started synth bass lines, drum machines, and stacks of synth modules making so much "music" that I think
music started to get to complicated "to the human ear" while still being simple patches, samples, and repeatitive lines.
Some people went out with some synths, a drum machine,the first noisey artificial harmonizers for voice, along with their guitar and made the "one man band".
Lately I am seeing a complete turn around. When I was a young one, I did not want to listen to what my father liked.
Yet, just for their purity I do like to listen to old studio recording where the whole band is in one room and you can almost feel them when you listen.
Yet my son listens to alot of the late 60s to late 70s bands, including some I did not.
You can follow the timeline of the five string bass into super popularity in the mid to late '80s.
Most of the reasoning was the low B to take on some of those synth lines that started showing up playing
notes that were below the four string bass register.
It seems now the four string basses are back, and the 5 strings are showing up used in their place.
Reissued guitars seem mostly to be for money but, how long did the ricks 4001/4003 model look doomed.
Now they cannot keep that bass in stock, for the most part.
I am glad we are back to playing next to a live bass player, a drummer, YET sequencing out the keyboardist still
makes economical sense and takes away one less player in the band you don't have to wait for nor argue with,
and your drummer stays in time and the keyboardist, so to say, does not make mistakes. Plus we run our lights
on a midi channel as well.
:wink:
/cheers

YellowJacket said:
This is a complicated issue. If you talk to many people in my program, you'd probably get an answer like 1750 - 1900 or more about 1915 if you want to include the likes of Stravinsky and Strauss. I recall one of our professors making absolute fun of Guitar Magazine's "Best Fifty Songs of All Time". (Something about all the songs all being chosen from the last fifty years)

Growing up in the 90s, I used to hate the 80s with a passion. The one day, I realized that some of the best bands in a Genre I liked all formed midway through the 80s, hence why they could play their instruments.

I think there are good and bad things about each era and if you don't find anything you like in one decade, you aren't looking hard enough. Although I still like a modern aesthetic better, I get passed things that sound old and listen to the music for the sake of music. I'm glad we have recordings from the 80s. (and prior. Don't forget Hendrix) Maybe some young kids will pick up these records and actually learn how to play the guitar again!!!

If you simply read the reason for this post, you need to start a new post if you chose not to add an opinion as to
what the post is asking. Some seem to add tidbits that are irrelivent to alot of posts, but that is human nature. Yet how much more simple can it get, your opinion
of what is the best and worst decade for music.The above has little to do with this post. Simply start another post set up so you can
get what you want to hear in that context.

You don't go into a forum asking what is your favorite car and why, the rant on about how nobody uses the power of
hydrogen to save the planet do you? Well maybe you do.
/cheers

Back