Best 6L6???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kriskross179

Reaction score
So in terms of maxing out potential for med to high gain tones, while still maintaining sweet cleans and blues breakup, which current 6L6 tubes work the best? Any comments on the TAD-STRs, Tung Sol reissues, SEDs, or JJs? Also, are the Mesa branded STRs the same as the TAD-STRs? Is Tad just another selection company like Ruby, Mesa, and GT, or is it a new manufacturer?

RE tube manufacturers: As far as I know it is a short list. Apparently Groove Tubes is having some tubes made here in America again. Rumor has the Chinese making tubes again but I have not seen any new Chinese tubes for sale (anybody?). That leaves us with:

New Sensor (Sovtek)

Svetlana

JJ

EI - are they still making tubes? Pretty hard to find out much about them. I found this from last January -

http://www.tubedepot.com/ei.html

I think that is it, all the brands are just that, brands. Some may test more extensively than others. Here is a link to more about tubes than you ever wanted to know.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/12ax7.html

The opinions are strictly that of the perpetrators and do not represent the opinions of SixVeeSix or any of his representatives at this time.

As for your 6L6s? I have not had a chance to try any of the new ones. Sorry :D

SixVeeSix said:
Rumor has the Chinese making tubes again but I have not seen any new Chinese tubes for sale (anybody?).
Mesa tubes.

As for the best 6L6, I prefer the winged C in my Mark 4.

Pinweaver said:
SixVeeSix said:
Rumor has the Chinese making tubes again but I have not seen any new Chinese tubes for sale (anybody?).
Mesa tubes.

As for the best 6L6, I prefer the winged C in my Mark 4.

Aren't the Mesa Chinese tubes NOS? If they were current manufacture everybody would be relabeling and selling them. A few years ago Mesa amps came with all Chinese tubes from the factory, my Maverick had them. I think they still have a stash of them.

tommyhawk13 said:
So, if I wanted to put SED tubes in my 50/50, do I just buy them & put them in, or is there a bias problem?

When you buy them, let the dealer know you have a Mesa 50/50. I bought mine online from Mike at KCA NOS tubes. Easy transaction, they worked great and I love the sound!

AFAIK, the reputable tube dealers out there will sell tubes in matched pairs or matched quads. Most (if not all ) Boogies have set bias-you can't change the bias. You can go to their Site and down load a manual to be sure.

TW

I am super happy with my GT6L6GEs. They are Groove-Tube built, in the USA, on old GE tooling. They make a 6CA7 which I haven't tried (no el34 amps).

I haven't tried =C=s but they're next on the list.

Back