Best 4x12 for your Mark II/III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocluejimbo

Reaction score
Hey BoogieBoarders, what 4x12 do you guys prefer for rock and metal on your Mark IIs and IIIs?

I've been considering the old Boogie metal grille 4x12, the 6505 cabinet, and standard 1960A (seeing as 75s have a fairly similar frequency response to the EVM).

I use a Marshall 1960A quad with GT-75s. To me, this sounds fantastic with my MkIII. The quad has a bit more treble than my EV speaker in the MKIII, but when I begin to crank my Mesa the quad starts to really growl.

I would like to try a Mesa cab but here in Australia they are well over 2 grand. So I think value for money the Marshall's not a bad option (I got my quad second hand off ebay for AUD$400. My MkIII was AUD$500 second hand so that's a rig under a grand!)

I use a 5150-cabinet (old version of 6505) on my mark III. Sounds good.
Still I'm thinking about an other cabinet, a bogner or mesa.
Between those two I think Bogner would be the best because mesa seems to have too much low-end. I think the übercab really would sound great.

I don't know that brand. The quality of the cabinet is very important and I think there are a lot of cabinet makers that use good speakers but make cabinets that are not so good. I think that would f*ck up your sound real bad

+1 on the 5150 cab.

The casters need a mod to them adding a nut and the center brace could use a screw or some more foam to prevent rattling. Other than that for 200-350 you get a solid cab. The straight cabs generally put out more low end due to the cab being a bit bigger. The projection is just great on those cabs and the sheffield 1200 EVH speakers sound pretty good.

Hey thanks for those tips man.
What did you mean with the casters need an extra nut and if you would ever replace the sheffield speakers, what speakers would you use instead

IMO i really don't like the 5150 cab's...i used one for awhile and it's tone wasn't to bad but it's projection is awful...i stoped using it and went back to a 1x12 mesa...now i use a orange 4x12 and it's sound is unbelievable.

I you'd change the speakers, would the projection be better or does that projection depend on something totally else. And if you would change the speakers what speakers would you put in it, V30's or something else

I have a 1960A (G12-75's) & a Mesa metal grill w/EVs in bottom and Celestions in top. The Mesa cab sounds much better than the Marshall. It has more bass and highend, and is more articulate - you can hear notes much better. The Marshall sounds good until you A/B it with the Mesa. Then it sounds like it has a blanket over it.

What's a fair price for a metal grill, half-back Boogie 4x12?

My Guitar Center has two tops, one in fair condition and the other one near mint, and a bottom cabinet with casters in near mint condition.

nocluejimbo said:
Hey BoogieBoarders, what 4x12 do you guys prefer for rock and metal on your Mark IIs and IIIs?

I've been considering the old Boogie metal grille 4x12, the 6505 cabinet, and standard 1960A (seeing as 75s have a fairly similar frequency response to the EVM).

Speaker cab quality is the first concern. Mesa makes a better quality cabinet than Marshall does.

So if you go for Marshall , keep a few things in mind. The 1960 cabs are birch ply except for the back which is particle board and basically crap. Replacing the particle board with real birch ply helps alot.
Item #2 is the crap wiring Marshall uses. Yank that garbage out along with the spade connectors and wire in some good quality 14 gauge speaker cable like Mogami or even better sound runner 8114 and you will be amazed at all the low end response that you recover.

As far as Peavey, back in the day I had one around 1990 or so. The quality was below average. It was plastic and particle board. If you go with peavey try to find out what the cabs are made of.

As far as speakers, THe vintage 30's are very good. Plenty of punch. Classic Lead 80;s are louder and have more midrange. The 75's have a nasty sounding upper midrange that I don't like. THey have awesome low end that thumps really gret but hte midrange sounds so disconnected to me that it doesn't compare to the V30;s , especially for clean tones

If you dig V30's then you will like the Eminence Governors. It's a greater power handling version of the Celestion V30 with a less peaky midrange and the things sound very balanceed. They also have little to no cone cry where Vintage 30's have alot.

I've also got a Eminence screamin eaagle over her and i like it. It's something between a V30 and a EV 200 watter. Not a bad speaker at all. Somewhat english sounding and somewhat hi fi at the same time like the EV

Paul Secondino said:
nocluejimbo said:

Speaker cab quality is the first concern. Mesa makes a better quality cabinet than Marshall does.

So if you go for Marshall , keep a few things in mind. The 1960 cabs are birch ply except for the back which is particle board and basically crap. Replacing the particle board with real birch ply helps alot.
Item #2 is the crap wiring Marshall uses. Yank that garbage out along with the spade connectors and wire in some good quality 14 gauge speaker cable like Mogami or even better sound runner 8114 and you will be amazed at all the low end response that you recover.

As far as Peavey, back in the day I had one around 1990 or so. The quality was below average. It was plastic and particle board. If you go with peavey try to find out what the cabs are made of.

As far as speakers, THe vintage 30's are very good. Plenty of punch. Classic Lead 80;s are louder and have more midrange. The 75's have a nasty sounding upper midrange that I don't like. THey have awesome low end that thumps really gret but hte midrange sounds so disconnected to me that it doesn't compare to the V30;s , especially for clean tones

If you dig V30's then you will like the Eminence Governors. It's a greater power handling version of the Celestion V30 with a less peaky midrange and the things sound very balanceed. They also have little to no cone cry where Vintage 30's have alot.

I've also got a Eminence screamin eaagle over her and i like it. It's something between a V30 and a EV 200 watter. Not a bad speaker at all. Somewhat english sounding and somewhat hi fi at the same time like the EV

Thanks for the detailed response. That clears up almost all of my questions and potential cabinets.

What amp model do you use these cabs with?

Apparently the 6505 cabs are made of high-density plywood but I wouldn't be surprised if the back was fiberboard like the Marshalls. I can't get them around here anyway, so unless a used one comes in, moot point.

I have heard that the Governor will be right down my alley, but I don't see myself replacing speakers to get them. If I get an Avatar, I sure will.

At this point I'm leaning towards those old Boogie cabs but does anyone know a market value? They are in better condition than the one on eBay that is over $500.

I have a
-Mesa Mark 3 blue stripe
-Mesa Quad and 50/50 power amp
-Triaxis and Engl 570 pres into VHT 2502 power amp

The avatar cabs are good. And MArshall 1960 cabs are good as long as you take care of the Marshall bean counting dilemma.For instance, the Marshall 1936 cab with V30's can be rewired and have the particle board replaced for a reasonable price and be a serious contender.Basically as good as Boogie at that point.

As far as older Boogie cabs, they can be cool too.The main thing is get something with all plywood construction. When I think of old BOogie cabs, I imagine 3/4 backs and such and the cabs that had both celestion 90's and EV's in them. They sound kind of .......different I guess. I'd try one to see if oyu liek it before buying it.

I think the old steel grill Boogies are selling for around $400-450 right now in good shape. They had been selling for less when the Rectifier cabs were introduced - the "newer must be better" theory. But now, people are realizing how good those older cabs sound - especially with a couple of EV's in the bottom. They are also super versital because they can be run 1/2back or as a full closed back.

BTW - Mesa still sells 1/2 back top panels for these cabs so you can use it a fulll closed back. If I remember correctly, I think I purchased mine for about $35 + ship.

I picked up a half back bottom cab tonight. The lower speakers look a bit different, but I will have to open it up to tell if they are EVMs. Pics and report to come.

I played it for almost an hour today. Incredible sound. Full, projects really well, great low end response. The half back really adds a nice dimension to the tone over most 4x12s I've heard/played. I'll get some pics sometime soon and check to see if the lower speakers are EVs.

EDIT: The lower speakers are unmarked with a silver frame and black rear portion. They look different from the Black Shadows. But whatever. This cab still gives me a hard on.

Congratulations. They are great cabs.

EDIT: The lower speakers are unmarked with a silver frame and black rear portion. They look different from the Black Shadows.

If the speakers in the bottom have "cast" frames, which it sound like you are describing, they are most likely the famed EVM12L's. Nice purchase.

Back