Best 12ax7 choice for Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, here's a review of some 12AX7s done by thetubestore.com

preamptubes.jpg

Hi All,
I have the TS12ax7 gold in position 1 in my Mark 1 reissue, the regular TS12ax7 in the other gain stages. I love what they did for the amp. I cant explain it but it was a big improvment.
Steve

I would say definitely not the Mesa SPAX7 even though it is supposed to be their best selected 12ax7. I would say for current production it is hard to go wrong with GT. I like their R2 and C9. I have heard good things about their Mullard reissues and the JJs that they screen. For older tubes, I like old RCAs and GEs. I have some old Mullards but they solely ever go in my JMP so I can't say how good they would sound in a Mesa but I know they sound good in there.

Russ said:
I would say definitely not the Mesa SPAX7 even though it is supposed to be their best selected 12ax7. I would say for current production it is hard to go wrong with GT. I like their R2 and C9. I have heard good things about their Mullard reissues and the JJs that they screen. For older tubes, I like old RCAs and GEs. I have some old Mullards but they solely ever go in my JMP so I can't say how good they would sound in a Mesa but I know they sound good in there.

GT's Mullard RI's are very cool. One of my fav V1 tubes. I also have to give props to JAN 5751's.

I think in the MKIV, save your money and use what you have. I have NOS and have tried everything in the MKIV and the difference is slight IMHO. Also I have found NOS jan philips 12ax7's to not last long in the MKIV. I find JJ's to be good and the right price. I also like GT mullard ri, (had some of these go bad too) I think it's more important to just listen to what you have and move them around. If you take 5 of the same 12ax7's from the same MFG and try them in different positions, they will sound different. IMHO

Latest posts

Back