Band advice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender_212

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put it but here it goes.

I'm 15, been playing for about 3 and a half years, I play pop punk, rock, classic rock, that sort of stuff, I have a 2002 tom delonge fender strat and I just got a 2006 Mesa dual rec 3 channel with the 412 cab.

I thought making a band and playing shows would be easy. but oh no, anything but easy. The drummer and I are good, we are very dedicated and want to succeed and play. The bassplayer, is a different story. Hes into hockey, slow at learning songs, not very dedicated, hard to get a hold of. BUT heres the thing....... hes the only bass player I know that is into the stuff were into, and I've known him since Junior Kindergarden and were now in grade 10. I know 2 bass players and one just happends to be him, and the other I don't know very well and hes into more hard rock and classic rock.

We were going to practice this weekend but couldn't get a hold of the bassist. his cell isn't on, so I sent him a text message. no reply.

Does anyone have any advice? what should I do? I really want to get me, and the boogie on stage. and playing in my room isn't much of a thrill

Will that other bassist you know actually, you know, show up and play? That's usually half the battle anyway. Maybe you'll find common ground and be thrilled to play together. In any case it's waaaaaay better than *not playing*. Waiting around for flaky buddies who can't play is a classic drag-down. If they aren't showing up, it's because they don't really want to. You probably need to figure out how to stay friends without pretending to be bandmates. People want to play music drop everything else and do it.

You could always try the washed up guitarist route. If you know anyone who is decent at guitar, ask them if they'd be willing to play bass.

ya, I know someone who is a good drummer and likes the things I like and hes not in a band and wants to be in one so I'm going to put up some ads to look for a bass player, 2nd guitarist maybe, and a singer

and thats EXACTLY how it should be. If you want to play music drop everything and play!!!

it shouldn't be like "well I have hockey, I can't" or "I'm going to watch the school football game after school, I can't"

thats bullshit. hes not even that great of a bass player, hes been playing for 1 year!

so I don't think it's worth slowing the band down

I'll post ads on www.kijiji.ca and craigslist and see what comes up

dude life is too short to be wasted on others that dont know what they want!!!!! post on craigslist or other musician boards and find somebody who is motivated and willing to commit to a serious band.. if it was easy everbody would be a rock star!!!!!!!!

Back