B+ ? regarding Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossl

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a Mark IIB, 60 watts with Reverb, with EV Black speaker.

Playing an outdoor gig 20 + years ago, my power transformer blew. It was replaced by a MB authorized repair center and a new Boogie transfomer was installed.

After the install the amp didn't sound as "sweet" as it did before. This was noticable on both clean and distorted channels but was more noticable on the clean channel. I called Boogie after the repair and Boogie said I had the correct replacement installed and it was installed by one their best shops on the east coast. I had just written the amp off to never be the same again.

The amp is (and has been for 15 years) in storage.

Since I've learned a bit about amps in the past 10 years (building Fender and Marshall clones). I suspect the replacement power transformer may have increased the B+ voltage over what was originally installed when new.

Does anyone know what the stock voltages should be for the secondary?

Does anyone have any actual voltage readings from a "good sounding" 100% stock example?

Any sources available for "accurate" replacements?

I have got to get it out of storage to measure the voltages. The transformer is a mesa replacement.

At the time of the repair, the Mark 11B was still the current model. So I veleive there were only 60 and 100 watt transformers available. I'm 90% sure that it was stamped Mesa or Boogie on the tranny.

It would either have the T60-152019 or the 561060. Either way, the old 60W watt power boards specified 448V to the screens and 450V or so to the plates. I would suspect that the amp would need a spring cleaning and possibly a cap job, especially after being in storage.

I will try to check the part number this weekend. And get some measurements

Has anyone here experimented with different transformers?

Latest posts

Back