Axe-Fx minus pre-amp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moth

Reaction score
So I have an axe-fx and I have a Mark V. I'm wanting to use the tubes from my Mark V to push the Axe-Fx through a cab whilst bypassing the preamp of the Mark V. Is this possible? Basically 'm wanting to see what the axe-fx sounds like pushed through a cab before I buy a stero 50.

moth said:
So I have an axe-fx and I have a Mark V. I'm wanting to use the tubes from my Mark V to push the Axe-Fx through a cab whilst bypassing the preamp of the Mark V. Is this possible? Basically 'm wanting to see what the axe-fx sounds like pushed through a cab before I buy a stero 50.
Absolutely. Just plug output 1 of the Axe into the FX return of the Mark V, and make sure the loop is engaged. I've been running mine this way so far with great results.

WOW, thanks for the speediy reply. So basically the way you're talking about, the preamp of the MARK V doesn't color the tone coming out of the cab?

moth said:
WOW, thanks for the speediy reply. So basically the way you're talking about, the preamp of the MARK V doesn't color the tone coming out of the cab?
:lol: I guess I just have good timing.

And no, the Mark V's preamp is completely bypassed this way. The only "preamp" control that will affect your tone is the presence knob, as it actually controls the amount of negative feedback of the super high frequencies in the power amp. You will notice, however, that switching between preamp modes (such as going from MkIV to Extreme) drastically alters the tone because the amp was designed to call up certain power section voicings to best suit each preamp circuit. The multi-watt, rectification and pentode/triode switches will obviously also affect your tone, as those are power amp controls.

Back