Away from Boogie - Mark Series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogi-wan

Reaction score
What Mesa amp sounds the most different from that famous "Boogie" sound? I'm not looking to do heavy metal, just some 70s rock, but I want to get away from that "Santana" sound. Marshall sounding (is that possible with a Mesa amp?) would be fine but not necessary.

Recommendations?

Ogi-wan said:
Marshall sounding (is that possible with a Mesa amp?) would be fine but not necessary.

Recommendations?

Well, if you did want the Marshall sound, the Stiletto series would definitely be the closest.

If you do want a Marshall sounding amp, or any amp that differs from the typical Boogie vibe and sound, you might want to just not buy a Boogie. Maybe look on eBay for an old JCM 800, or check out the new Marshall JVM. Although the Stiletto series was made to appeal to the Marshall crowd, it still possesses the Boogie characteristics. Put side by side with an average Marshall, Stilettos will still dominate the lower-mid and bass frequencies, akin to other Boogies. You figure out whether that is a good or a bad thing for you.

If you want to stick with Boogie, check out the Lonestar amps, they deliver pretty ideal classic rock tones.

But I'd suggest buying something other than a Boogie. I'd definitely look into Orange amps, they have a very hot rodded Marshall 70s and 80s crunch, but are still versitile enough to provide a heavier grind, if you do decide to play some metal.

I'd suggest just going to a large retail store that carries a lot of amp brands, and spend a day or two trying out all the amps that grab your attention.

I agree. The Stiletto sounds more your speed if you want a more Marshall sound. In fact, why not just buy a Marshall? It isn't that bad having to run a JMP along side my MarkIV. My JCM800 gets a little jealous but I played it long enough and the Mark IV does what I need more of right now. I played Marshalls forever. I just use them for the classic Marshall stuff out of the JMP now and use the Mark IV for the rest. Though I could use a Dual Rec. But the Dual Rec will not be replacing anything per se but more like just adding to the sonic arsenal.

Latest posts

Back