The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
Ok, so i've got my dual rec finally...now i'm looking for a cab that will do it justice....i don't feel like lugging around a 4x12, so i think a 2x12 is more my liking. I play mostly metal and i've tried both the rectifier cab and the marshall 1960a cab; the marshall was defenitly NOT my favorite, and the rectifier seemed to lack a tight bottom end. I've heard about the traditional, but i'm looking for a 2x12.
What i gathered from past posts, is that avatar, genz benz and mesa seem to be the top cabs. So if anyone who's tried any/all of these cabs could you give your opinion on them (especially, the differences between any of them).

-DAVE

I own a recto 2x12 and 4x12.
nothing beats the thick sound of the 4x12 but ... heavy!
the 2x12 sounds good too, just a bit more emphasis on the mid/upper mids.
when combined, they complement one another nicely.
what can I say, you just need to own both!
:D

I could agree with that :D

I'm planning to purchase a 2x12 to add in the near future.

Back on topic!

The avatars are good, but if you're willing to fork out for a Mesa or Genz Benz, then you're in a completely different league. Though the avatars are good for the price, the other two are far superior!

I LOVE mesa cabs! The "loose" bottom end takes time to properly dial out, but once you do, all you're left with is a HUGE tone. More volume also gets there speakers kicking, and they tighten up a bit IMO.

If this really bothers you, there is also the stiletto 2x12, or traditional.

Tried the Genz Benz, and wasn't too crazy about it. Didn't give it a very long try though....

bsideexperiment said:
Ok, so i've got my dual rec finally...now i'm looking for a cab that will do it justice....i don't feel like lugging around a 4x12, so i think a 2x12 is more my liking. I play mostly metal and i've tried both the rectifier cab and the marshall 1960a cab; the marshall was defenitly NOT my favorite, and the rectifier seemed to lack a tight bottom end. I've heard about the traditional, but i'm looking for a 2x12.
What i gathered from past posts, is that avatar, genz benz and mesa seem to be the top cabs. So if anyone who's tried any/all of these cabs could you give your opinion on them (especially, the differences between any of them).

-DAVE

Genz Benz all the way.

Now you confused me IBanez, you say the Genz Benz and Mesa are in a new league to the Avatar but then you tried a Genz Benz and weren't too crazy about it. Guess I'll know where I stand Monday when my Avatar arrives. Ken

Be careful! Guitarzan is a BIG Genz Benz pusher! Look at the guy! he has the stuff all over him, sad that he turned out a junky :cry: He used to be a nice guy...

Just kidding :D

I tried the Genz-Benz a few weeks back, It's a great cab! but I had no urge to buy it to replace my RK 2x12 cab. They make a traditional in 2x12 haven't played one though.

In build quality, the Genz Benz and Mesa are both better cabs than the avatar.....they are higher end.

But, I personally didn't like the Genz Benz....just not my thing....hope that clears it up for you!

MetalMatt said:
Be careful! Guitarzan is a BIG Genz Benz pusher! Look at the guy! he has the stuff all over him, sad that he turned out a junky :cry: He used to be a nice guy...

Just kidding :D

haha ha ha
I only advocate them because I've tried everything else. I've owned Mesa Cabs, Marshall cabs...I still own Marshall cabs, Bogner cabs, Orange cabs, Rivera cabs, Laney cabs, Ampeg cabs and VHT cabs. I've tried most of them with different speakers as well. I say this because I can. You can take my word for what it's worth to you but I know what I like hearing and I'm just trying to save people some time. Have a great day.

I had the Genz Benz cab and it was good, but not as good as my mesa cabs. But i am much more of a 4x12 person anyway, no matter how well a 2x12 is built etc.. it will never have all the thump of a 4x12.

With that being said, very true when said 2x12's have more upper midrange. I have a mesa 2x12 now, but i think i put it in the classifieds here but might have not. Basicaly i am trying to get down to 4 cabs, all 4x12's. Right now i have 6 4x12's and one 2x12.

siggy14 said:
I had the Genz Benz cab and it was good, but not as good as my mesa cabs. But i am much more of a 4x12 person anyway, no matter how well a 2x12 is built etc.. it will never have all the thump of a 4x12.

With that being said, very true when said 2x12's have more upper midrange. I have a mesa 2x12 now, but i think i put it in the classifieds here but might have not. Basicaly i am trying to get down to 4 cabs, all 4x12's. Right now i have 6 4x12's and one 2x12.

Have you tried the GB 4x12?

No i had the lynch 2x12, good cab but just wasnt the sound I was looking for. If the 4x12's have the same speakers then i wouldnt be interested.

Guitarzan said:
siggy14 said:

Have you tried the GB 4x12?

Latest posts

Back