The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydock

Reaction score
How do the avatar vintage 4x12 cabs compare to a recto cab in terms of build quality. I need to get a new cab asap, and will save a bit of money if I get the avatar in my current situation.

Also, what do you guys think of the V30 x H30 speaker combo with a Roadster? I'm not really looking for a brutal tone, but rather a middy high gain lead solo tone, crunchy mid-gain rock rhythm, and deep cleans.

Also, what do you guys think of the V30 x H30 speaker combo with a Roadster? I'm not really looking for a brutal tone, but rather a middy high gain lead solo tone, crunchy mid-gain rock rhythm, and deep cleans.

That being said, I've always being a fan of the old 1/2 backed Mesa cabs that were popular when the MkIV came out.

Hey:

Avatars are great! Seriously! You will NOT be sorry if you decide on buying one. I just got my first Avatar, the 212 Contemporary with V-30s. It sounds exactly like Orange PPC it is inspired by, maybe just not as boomy and bass-heavy as the Orange. Check out this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIUMtYP3xhA

It is a video I put together to show the high-quality design, build, and materials used to make the Avatar. The pictures on their website do their cabinets no justice.

Good luck!

Sweet looking amp man. I think I'm going to look into getting an Avatar 2x12 instead of the 4x12. I'm still debating if I should get both speakers as V30s or get an H30/V30 combo for the 2x12. What's the general consensus for H30s with the Roadster/Recto?

I would advise against the H30 with a V30 because your total load will be dropped to 60 watts. With two V30s you are rated at 120 watts. Better safe than sorry. If you were running a Single Rectifier I'd say go for it, but otherwise, it might be a bad idea. Unless of course, you were going to run a Dual Rec permanently on just two power tubes.

I love the sound of the V30s through this cabinet a lot! They are finally almost completely broken-in, and are very warm and articulate sounding.

Let me know what you decided. You can't go wrong with the 212 Contemporary. Personally, I like to use two 212s so I still have the added ease of portability and matching. For practices and smaller gigs I am happy to use a 212, while for bigger gigs (or when I just need to really feel the air of 4 speakers) I can easily opt for 412s.

Good luck!

Oh, and I got my cabs without the piping. I thought they looked better without the piping overall. I am very, very pleased.

Don't forget, two V30s will be rated at a total of 120 watts because BOTH speakers are individually rated for a maximum of 60 watts. When you mismatch speakers like you are proposing with a H30 and V30, your total will be 60 watts because the H30 is rated for a maximum of 30 watts. Your Dual Rectifier (and any amp) will send out equal power to each speaker. It does not account for the mismatch in power, therefore running a Roadster at 100 watts would not be advised.

Just reminding you, so you don't make any mistakes. Of course, if you don't need the 100 watts for the extra headroom for your cleans, then by all means, go with the H30.

Some people make the mistake of just adding the two speakers power ratings together. In this case, some might believe that a H30 and V30 would give them a total of 90 watts, which would be erroneous thinking.

If you go with the 412 though, you should be all set at a total of 120 watts (2 V30s, and 2 H30s). Later!

Thanks for the reply civicbud! I too though I would be getting 90 watts with the h30/v30 combo. I guess I have no choice than to get both v30s in the 212. Don't get me wrong, I really like v30s, but after hearing clips of the h30, it kinda made me gas for them. My last cab was a v30/t75 4x12, but I sold it because I wasn't really feeling the t75s with the roadster.

Initially I wanted to buy the Avatar vintage style 212 because I loved the way it looked, but avatar is selling the contemporary without grille piping for really cheap. I'm considering getting that because of the value, but it seems to have that Orange design to it. I hear that Orange cabs tend to be very beamy and directional which is kinda a turn-off for me. Also, the vintage is taller, so that's always a plus.

My last bit of advice is, if you are going to buy one, buy one now before January 1st. If you go to Avatar's website you will see a special promotion they are having for 212 Contemporary cabinets -- 212 cab, loaded with V30s, 8 ohms (same rating as most Mesa cabs), in either black or orange tolex, wheat grill cloth, and no piping for only $349! That is the deal I used weeks ago to get my cabinet. The total actually came to $389 (shipping). I would buy one soon if possible. A great cab for under $400 is a steal! And, breaking in the V30s is a simple process and Celestion has a link on their website devoted to that topic.

Good luck! Post the pics when you decide!

Later!

I went for the Contemporary 212 in orange despite really wanting the vintage cab. Money is extremely tight right now, but I really need a cab asap. This was a really good deal and was very hard to pass up. So I bought it based on value. Who knows, when I have enough to get a second cab, I could always get the vintage since the price should stay the same. It might be interesting to stack the vintage on top of the contemporary for gigs. Or I might end up liking the the contemp and consider getting a second one later on.

If you want the sound of the V30/H30 combo but need more than 60W handling, replace the H30 with a Classic Lead 80. It's not exactly the same tone but it's very similar, and works well with the V30.

Aren't the CL80s supposed to be very flat and neutral sounding? People tend to use them for modeling amps.

Hey Rydock, great purchase! You shouldn't be disappointed at all. Post some pics when you get it in. You are right about the CL80's. If you want to tweak the sound, try a C90 with a V30. You can order one from Mesa. That is the mix/match that Mesa uses in the Road King cabs.

Also, good luck with you reverb situation! If you go with a pedal, post some clips. I am curious to see how reverb pedals compare. Later!

C90s are supposed to sound awesome in clean right? I play lots of clean stuff so I could see me using those.

I might give the Hardwire Reverb pedal a try if I end up getting a pedal. That or a Holy grail.

Latest posts

Back