Avatar 4x12 or 2x12 to go with my Cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Reaction score
I'm going to order an Avatar cabinet with Celestion g12h30's.

There is something I like about the 2x12.

I think its cause it's not that big, easier to haul around and can have it right next to my marshall cabinet or stack it below. I really like how they look too.

Although im not a lazy *** who is un-willing to haul around 2 4x12's.

I don't know if I should just get a 2x12 to go along with my current Marshall 4x12 loaded with greenbacks.

or

Just get another 4x12 so I can have 4greenbacks & 4 g12h30's combination going?

If i do order a 2x12 will it be heard and not over powered by the 4 green backs?

I'm using a Mark IIIC+ head

Hey DanDan,

Have you considered getting a cab with a combination of speakers in it? I'm pretty sure Dave will do that for you. He has a LOT of customers out there who are doing the same thing.

dandan said:
I'm going to order an Avatar cabinet with Celestion g12h30's.

There is something I like about the 2x12.

I think its cause it's not that big, easier to haul around and can have it right next to my marshall cabinet or stack it below. I really like how they look too.

Although im not a lazy *** who is un-willing to haul around 2 4x12's.

I don't know if I should just get a 2x12 to go along with my current Marshall 4x12 loaded with greenbacks.

or

Just get another 4x12 so I can have 4greenbacks & 4 g12h30's combination going?

If i do order a 2x12 will it be heard and not over powered by the 4 green backs?

I'm using a Mark IIIC+ head

First of all, I AM too lazy to haul around 2 4x12s, in fact, I'm too lazy to haul around a single 4x12...a 2x12 is even pushing it for me!! I must be getting old, but after 5 hours of carrying gear, setting up, playing 3 sets and tearing down, I don't have much energy left!! My 50lb F50 1x12 even seems to heavy at that point!! :D

As far as the 4x12 Greenbacks overpowering a 2x12 G12H30, I doubt it. For one thing, a G12H30 has a sensetivity of 100 db to the Greenback's sensitivity of 98db (a difference of 3db translates to twice as loud), so I think they'll be heard.

One popular combination that Dave at Avatar offers is a G12H30 and a V30 together in a 2x12 cab. I built my own 2x12 cab and put the V30 I already had in it with one of Dave's Hellatone 30s (a broken in G12H30). Honestly, I don't care for the G12H30 by itself, (especially with my F50, the G12H30 has a lot of highs and it accentuates the fizzy top end of the F50, and not in a good way IMHO, works better with my custom-built plexi style tube amp, though I still prefer the V30 with that, too). But in combination with the V30 it sounds great...sort of fills out the bottom end and the highs, but not too much.

Surfcaster said:
As far as the 4x12 Greenbacks overpowering a 2x12 G12H30, I doubt it. For one thing, a G12H30 has a sensetivity of 100 db to the Greenback's sensitivity of 98db (a difference of 3db translates to twice as loud), so I think they'll be heard.

Don't let the difference in sensitivity stop you from experimenting. I thought the same thing when I went to combine the Greenbacks with the Vintage 30's, but it's not the case at all. They actually balance very well.

If any of you have tried it, how does the V30/G12H30 combo compare to the BLack Shadow (C90) speakers?

I have an Avatar open 2x12 with the Vintage 30/G12H30 combination. The two balance each other. Also, We combared a friend's LSS with the stock Black Shadow in his combo and a seperate single 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30, they sound very close from what we heard. Of course that's only what we heard by ear, and frequencies were not scientifically measured. I think that the Vintage 30 will add a bit of an edge (a little more harsh or throaty as compared to a Black Shadow) The G12H30 and the Black Shadow will mellow the sound of a Vintage 30 if they're played in combination.

I really like my cab for that reason. You get a broader spectrum of sound between lows and highs. Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back