Are V30's really that good as people say

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmb

Reaction score
I'm thinking about another cabinet and so I was thinking about the speakers
Usually everyone says V30's are the best ones. I've heard they would be warmer than other speakers and produce better distortion.
Can someone tell me the basic characteristics of those V30's and what's less good about other speakers??
Thanks in advance boogieboys

By the way I play a mark III blue stripe

I use a MkIII red stripe through a Recto 4x12....sounds awesome.

Tone is so subjective that I can't really explain why I like V30s, except to say that I like them. They are warm, carry a big bottom end, and they also handle high gain really well. They don't have the clarity of other speakers, but they also don't have the harshness either.

Thanks man. What kind of music do you play with that stuff.
Can you maybe post an mp3 sample of your sound

Yeah, its the best overall speakers in my opinion. Kinda like a "universal" speaker for just about all application.

But there's other speakers for specific application like Webers best vintage replacement speakers.

Then some on the board prefer's Celestion G12T-75 especially the "X" configuration of a 4x12" using pair of G12T-75 and pair Vintage 30s is an "X" pattern.

pmb said:
Thanks man. What kind of music do you play with that stuff.
Can you maybe post an mp3 sample of your sound

70s Heavy Metal, Doom/Sludge/Grunge, and some Thrash.

Unfortunatly, no recording gear, so no clips. But, if you listen to just about any band that uses a Rectifier you'll hear a V30 in action. Same goes with Guns and Roses, Metallica, and a bunch of others.

screamingdaisy said:
Tone is so subjective that I can't really explain why I like V30s, except to say that I like them. They are warm, carry a big bottom end, and they also handle high gain really well. They don't have the clarity of other speakers, but they also don't have the harshness either.

That is pretty much spot on....

Russ said:
screamingdaisy said:

That is pretty much spot on....

yup.

-AJH

+1

I have them arranged in an X pattern with Greenbacks in my Marshall cabs. The V30's alone sounded killer. V30's and Greenbacks = my own tonal nirvana

I was wondering how they compare to the 90w black shadow speaker thats in my f 50. I love that speaker.

mikeyp said:
I was wondering how they compare to the 90w black shadow speaker thats in my f 50. I love that speaker.

Why mess with something you love? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

Ok now for another approach.... You have GAS. Go try one before you buy one. GAS leads to light pockets. Sometimes it is a good thing with good end results while other times you waste money. There is this thing called the point of diminishing returns. Will your swap merit the $+time invested? Possibly. Never buy anything without first having at least heard it or played it. This includes all gear. Anything that is user manipulated (guitar, expression pedal, etc.) will sound like the user.

That being said, it can be fun to swap out speakers and such but if you love your black shadow C90 why mess with it? That is a great speaker. If you play through a V30 and like it more then by all means get a V30 but keep your C90.

I would not have posted from the conservative had it not been for your last sentence. Your wondering is what led me to believe that you have not played through a V30 yet.

If your last sentence was referring to the V30 and not the C90, then disregard the above and go out and get your beloved V30.

It's a very interesting speaker that sounds a bit different in each amp I play it in. I have a 16ohm version (which might have something to do with it) in my Orange and it acts like a completely different speaker than in my Mesa cab. It sounds different with a stiletto and a rectifier, etc. It handles tremendous low end without farting out, the midrange doesn't get muddy unless you're not EQ'ed properly, and the highs are clear and clean. It's not extremely articulated or detailed but then again.. use the right tool for the right job.

That being said, as Russ put, the black shadow is a hell of a speaker. I think your decision needs to be based mostly on how they sound in your rig to YOUR ears, and also pairing the right speaker to the right type of music you're trying to get.

Russ said:
mikeyp said:

Why mess with something you love? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

Ok now for another approach.... You have GAS. Go try one before you buy one. GAS leads to light pockets. Sometimes it is a good thing with good end results while other times you waste money. There is this thing called the point of diminishing returns. Will your swap merit the $+time invested? Possibly. Never buy anything without first having at least heard it or played it. This includes all gear. Anything that is user manipulated (guitar, expression pedal, etc.) will sound like the user.

That being said, it can be fun to swap out speakers and such but if you love your black shadow C90 why mess with it? That is a great speaker. If you play through a V30 and like it more then by all means get a V30 but keep your C90.

I would not have posted from the conservative had it not been for your last sentence. Your wondering is what led me to believe that you have not played through a V30 yet.

If your last sentence was referring to the V30 and not the C90, then disregard the above and go out and get your beloved V30.

Whoa, hey, I was was just asking. :D I was just asking 'cause maybe someday I'll get/build an ext cab. I would probably look for another Black shadow but I was just wondering how similiar the v30 was to it.

I just installed V-30's in my 66' Fender Pro Reverb and it now has headroom from hell. It gave it ALOT more clarity than the old Oxfarts that were in there. It just has a more balanced tonal range now. I guess since this amp doesn't
have a mid tone control, the speaker adds that mid tone to help balance out the overall tonal spectrum. I reallly like what it did for the amp.

100_0331.jpg

The vintage 30 is an ok speaker and in some applications it's fine but I have found many better speakers. The upside of the V30 is they have high power handling, and are articulate. The downside is they are harsh, with a midrange spike that just drives me crazy.

These speakers remind me of a pretty girl witha lame personality. When you first see her your all exited but after talking to her for about 15 minutes your ready to bail.

I would strongly suggest the Eminence Governor if you want V30 flavor without all the nasties. Another great speaker from Eminence is the Wizard, this speaker is more even with extended highs, it's similar to a Celestion Anniversary. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike Celestions, in fact the Celestion Blue is an awesome speaker.

Which cabinet makers use those eminences
And if you buy the eminences alone what do they cost compared to celestion

Musiciansfriend sells the Gov for $89

You could ask Dave at avatar speakers for a quote because he sells them too. I like my gov since it is kind of like a V30 but not really. It's hard to explain. My current rig has a vertical slant 212 running a gov up top and a celestion g12k 85 on the bottom. I think this yields a broad spectrum of tone covering lows and low mids(Celestion) to nice mids and smooth highs(Eminence).

+1 on Dave at Avatar. I've done business with him on several occasions and I can tell you that he's an awesome guy who takes good care of his customers.

Back