Are my tubes about to go?!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botch

Reaction score
When I palm mute chords through my Dual Rec it's followed by a little 'crackling' sound. I think I can detect a loss of gain in my sound too. Are these just signs that my power tubes need changing or could it be something more sinister? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Depending on the hours of use on your tubes, it might be time for a re-tube. Whenever I start getting weird noises or a flat un-responsive tone, I pop in a new set usually around the 8 month mark because I play a lot. There is also the loud factor, as in if you play pretty loud, pretty often, you should look into getting at least one set of power tubes for back-ups.

8 months on a set of power tubes?That sucks.Thats why I always say NOS are so much better than this current production crap out there today.I have two sons who each have a their own bands,they both use the studio in my basement for rehearsals,as well as almost daily jams,and their gigs,between them and myself,these amps are almost going 24/7 and I get years out of the tubes in my amps.NOS tubes rule.

I'd like to get some advice on this too. I just got a roadster head (second hand) and it crackles slightly after muting chords too.

Does anyone know if this would be caused by power tubes or preamp tubes? I not too keen on buying new power tubes to find out it was actually the preamp tubes then have to replace them too. Cheers in advance

Yeh, well I've had them in for over 18 months, played loud for around 3 hours per week and played and bedroom at levels for around 5 hours a week so I guess it might be time for a change. Not sure if I should change the preamps ones aswell though.

justanotherguitarist said:
I'd like to get some advice on this too. I just got a roadster head (second hand) and it crackles slightly after muting chords too.

Does anyone know if this would be caused by power tubes or preamp tubes? I not too keen on buying new power tubes to find out it was actually the preamp tubes then have to replace them too. Cheers in advance

Same here!

Botch said:
Yeh, well I've had them in for over 18 months, played loud for around 3 hours per week and played and bedroom at levels for around 5 hours a week so I guess it might be time for a change. Not sure if I should change the preamps ones aswell though.
Preamp tubes usually last much longer then your power tubes, but depending on what's in there now, you could go through and swap them one at a time to make sure that's not the problem you're having...

Sometimes it helps to keep a spare set of good/new power and preamp tubes on hand for this kind of guess and check troubleshooting.

I've had my RKII for almost two years but there was a static period where I didn't play it for about 3 months, but I'm guessing I should and should have chang(ed) the tubes much quicker. I'm scared somethings becoming damaged and have heard that hum will get outta control if you need new tubes, and well although I stand close to my amp in my room, even when I go like 10-15 feet away I'll still get some hum on ch. 3 even from just stopping after playing a chord.

I suspected it would be the power tubes, not the pre amp ones that were bad, so tonight I put in some spare EL34's I had kicking about into my amp to replace the old 6L6's. The crackling has now disappeared. All this means is I now have to put up with some shitty Marshall EL34s in there until I can pick up some =C= 6L6's!

Latest posts

Back