Are Keeley Compression Pedals The Best?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonator

Reaction score
I've been reading reviews for different compression pedal reviews and the Keeley's keep coming up as one of the best. I own a LSS and looking for a compression pedal. I'm like a lot of people who think this amp is better suited for single coil guitars. But, do you think a Compression pedal would help the HB guitars? That's not the reason I want the compression pedal, but someone had said that the four knob Keeley Compression Pedal would be the best for guitars with HB's.

What compression pedal would you buy?

Res

Ive never tried the keeley pedal but I do own the Barber tone press.
Ive tried a few other compressors over the years and I will say right off the bat that the tone press is nothing like any compressor youve ever tried.
One of the first things you will notice is the TP is very quiet for a compressor even maxed out.
Its also true bypass if that matters to you.
You can get anything from an old vintage sounding compressor to a very light compressed tone.
The best thing you will find with the TP,,, is the pedal has a knob named blend,, on it. There is no other compressor with this feature that I know of.
What it does is allows you to blend the dry signal with the wet signal as much or as little as you would like. Really sweet.
Before buying anything I would highly suggest checking one of these out.
I listed the TP sight and the harmony central user reviews sight below

http://www.barberelectronics.com/tonepress.htm

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Barber+Electronics/Tone+Press/10/1

First, The LSS is just fine with humbuckers. I can't see any issues at all with either of my humbucker guitars. I really don't understand that line of thinking.

Second, Keeley works wonderfully with the LSS - with my Strat, Les Paul, or SG. Love that pedal.

I have the opportunity to by a used Barber Tone Press for $100.

The one question no one had directly answered about the Tone Press is, can you get a decent attack without going inside and tweaking the Attack? I'm talking about something good enough to do a little "Chicken Pick'n". If you adjust the attack (inside the box) does it pretty much mess up the rest of the wonderful tone everyone is talking about?

I have a call into Barber, but no one has returned the call.

Thanks, Res

:?

Is the Keeley the best? In my opinion (at least for me) it is. Best compressor I've ever tried...but I havent tried a tone press.....

RB

There are a number of high-end compressor pedals that you should look at. I am very happy with the Demeter Compulator, simple and smooth.

I have a Barber Tone Press on the way. I'm sure the Keeley Compression Pedal is excellent from the reviews I've read. But, this is my thinking on the two compressors.

As a read through a ton of reviews on these two fine compression pedals, I noticed that there were a fair number of reviews that said they had owned or used the Keeley Compression Pedal and had switched over to the Barber Tone Press. In better than 90% of these reviews, the reason they went with the Tone Press was the "Blend Knob".

I couldn't find one review that had owned or used the Barber Tone Press and had switched over to the Keeley. I did find a couple reviews that said they owned both. But, in those reviews, the Barber was the one they use all the time in the chain.

I'll probably end up with both in the future. The one thing I have found out about Gear Reviews is I don't always agree with the majority.

Res

I really like the roomate. It is very clean and warm sounding and gives me lots of reverb options. Even on long reverbs, it doesn't get "digitally". The setting that has the 'verb and a little chorus is really sweet, too...I use it if I want an alternative chorus sound...really versiatile.

The roomate is also easy to set the level as well....I just A/B the levels with the unit on and off until they match...I've never had any problems with overloading or distortion.

I run it in the parallel loop of my RK...works great. I do remember running it in-line in front of my spider practice amp, and it didn't sound that good....don't think they played well together.

Anyway...expensive, but in my opinion...worth it.

RB

when i shopped for a new compressor (had a dynacomp)..... i a/b'd the tone press, and the Keeley.

i bought the tone press.

they're both good, tho, but i was sold on the Blend feature.

i also use the Barber Direct Drive SS, to push the front end of my mark2b.

after years of different OD's (original Rat, fuzz face, tube screamer, chandler tube driver, boss DS-1, sparkle drive, etc) the DDSS is the one.

YMMV

Latest posts

Back