Anyone using an OD with their MV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
th0rr said:
MesaGod666 said:
I use a TS808HW Keeley Modded TS on Channel 2 for sustain only...it's not really necessary, but I like the extra sustain.

Nothing wrong with that. :D

+1 I have the same set up - it sounds great on ch3 for soloing - with the TS set voume up drive 0

One thing I like about the Mark V is that it doesn't ever "require" an OD, unlike the Triple Rectifier I used to own. You can dial in some pretty brutal sounds with the amp alone.

I did try the TS9 in front of the Mark V though, just to see how it worked out. It made the highs unbearable. I'm sure I could have EQ'd that out, but, I didn't bother to. I'd just rather not use the OD. And since the MV has a Solo boost switch already, I could pretty much toss the TS9 aside for good.

Another surprising thing with the MV is that it sounds brilliant with a guitar equipped with EMG's. I normally hate EMG's, but the MV handles them brilliantly.

jam3v said:
One thing I like about the Mark V is that it doesn't ever "require" an OD, unlike the Triple Rectifier I used to own. You can dial in some pretty brutal sounds with the amp alone.

This is certainly true. I don't use the OD pedal to dial in brutal tones. I use it on the clean channel and in CH2 to get some tones the amp can't do natively.

I ended up trading the AC Booster for a BB Preamp Plus. The AC Booster sounded TERRIBLE! I was very surprised at how much I disliked this pedal. The BB+ is a much better sounding pedal. I just put some EL34s in my Mark V and it sounds better overall and now the BB Preamp sounds even better!

Fronzil said:
you have an xotic BB+..all you need brother.

Well, oddly enough........ after messing with it last night, i've come to the conclusion that even the BB+ is not needed with the Mark V. It is now for sale. The only other pedals I want to try is an OCD and a modded TS9. If neither of those 'do it' for me then it's official that I do not need an OD of any kind!

MusicManJP6 said:
I'm gonna give the Xotic AC Booster a shot. I've got one on the way!

I just got an AC+ overdrive and I really like it. Plenty of flexibility and sustain. Plenty of grunge too, if that's what you want. Let us know what you think.

Jim Ed Love said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I just got an AC+ overdrive and I really like it. Plenty of flexibility and sustain. Plenty of grunge too, if that's what you want. Let us know what you think.

I didn't like the AC booster AT ALL!

MusicManJP6 said:
Jim Ed Love said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I didn't like the AC booster AT ALL!

I don't have the Booster, I have the AC + plus. Which is two overdrive pedals in one. This pedal works well with my setup. Definitely better than a TS9.

Jim Ed Love said:
I don't have the Booster, I have the AC + plus. Which is two overdrive pedals in one. This pedal works well with my setup. Definitely better than a TS9.

Glad you like it. If the AC+ is like the BB+ then the standard version of the pedal is in there along with an added boost channel.

I use a Keeley modded tube screamer in Ch 2 "Crunch" mode only. Love the way it pushes the front end of the amp to give it that mid range in your face punch. Perfect for 80's hard rock sound... I have found using it in Ch 2 crunch, 45 watt, tube rectifier, variac setting it can give you the perfect "Brown" sound very close to some vintage V.H. tones. About as close as I can get without using a modified marshall.

MusicMan, can you do us all a favor and keep a journal that chronicles all of you gear swapping and what was good and bad about it?

I know you've gone though lots of gear, amps, pedals in the last few years and probably have a lot of good knowledge. (but you have kept the same guitar so there is a constant and control)

what are you doing with the OCD? ch1 / ch2 boost?

perhaps did you find a dog man or "king's X album" tone?

dmcguitar said:
MusicMan, can you do us all a favor and keep a journal that chronicles all of you gear swapping and what was good and bad about it?

I know you've gone though lots of gear, amps, pedals in the last few years and probably have a lot of good knowledge. (but you have kept the same guitar so there is a constant and control)

what are you doing with the OCD? ch1 / ch2 boost?

perhaps did you find a dog man or "king's X album" tone?

I am using the OCD as a boost for all channels. Breakup for CH1, more compression and sharper attack for CH2 and CH3 - all with same settings.

I have seen a decent amount of gear over the past three years. I cannot deny that! But, I don't chase album tones - I know better! Too much post processing for those tones to be a realistic goal. I just use my ears and follow the tone in my head. I do lots of research before making a purchase. I am limited in my gear acquisition funds so I have to make sure all my gear is as versatile as possible and each piece has it's place/use for my style of playing and taste in tone. I like to keep one simple rig at my disposal with a few nice guitars as well. My Peavey has been my main axe for 15+ years, but it has taken a backseat many times since the JP and PRS came along. I still rotate all of them evenly. I think I've finally put together a very simple, versatile, cost effective rig that will keep me happy for years to come. Even if my tone tastes change the tone in my head is just a mode switch, gain knob, and EQ setting away. Gotta give it up for the Mark V's ability to cop so many convincing tones!

I swapped out my Red Witch overdrive for an Xotic AC+ overdrive. The AC+ has two channels and is smoother than the Red Witch. I like to use overdrive with my setup, but not for everything.

nicoroy123 said:
4406cuda said:
I use a Fulltone OCD on channel one fat. It basically is like a fourth channel. I use it for a slight break up type of sound.

+1. I do exaclty the same with the OCD. A fourth channel and it works well with humbuckers.

+2 another vote for OCD and channel 1

I'm surprised nobody is posting what pickups you are using. I'd say that has the biggest impact on which OD pushes your amp to what level.

I remember using my Schecter with a Dimarzio Super Distortion into the clean channel...no chance of getting something really clean. Now with my EBMM Silhouette (Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge), I get great cleans and good push with a TS9DX (+ setting).

Best Dumble style overdrive for a fat clean channel (such as FAT mode) that I know of.

I'm selling a new one (I have 2) if you are interested.

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/products-plush-detail.php?id=plush_drive&cat=4

Like mentioned before I use the Maxon OD-808.
It has the most effect with my Les Paul Classic, with stock pups.

I found that I don't really need it with my EMG81 equipped axe (81 H-S-S) (for rythm). Although the bass isn't as tight as I would like, without the OD. But that'll probably be gone with more knobtweaking on the amp;

EMG81 single coil, neck posistion = AWESOME cleans!! I'd say better than the les paul.

I use this guy.

14e8mtj.jpg

Latest posts

Back