Anyone using a MXR Custom Comp in front of a Single Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Muffin

Reaction score
I play metalcore with an alter bridge "isolation" style tone (i know they use marks).....so I wanted to see what kind of settings i could try right out of the box if someone has some experience with this specific model in front of a rec.

guitar ----> MXR custom comp ----> Ibanez ts-9 ----> Mesa Rectoverb ---FX Loop has an ISP decimator in it ----> 2x12 recto cab.

Thanks for the help.

I assume you're talking about dirty tones. The TS9 will do a lot more than a comp to get closer to that sound. The general consensus is comps are redundant in front of such a compressed amp as a Rectifier. I've never liked them for distorted sounds. If you were talking about cleans, that's another story...

To get close to a Mark sound on the Recto, I use vintage mode, a tubescreamer, and an EQ in the loop (essential).

snave said:
I assume you're talking about dirty tones. The TS9 will do a lot more than a comp to get closer to that sound. The general consensus is comps are redundant in front of such a compressed amp as a Rectifier. I've never liked them for distorted sounds. If you were talking about cleans, that's another story...

To get close to a Mark sound on the Recto, I use vintage mode, a tubescreamer, and an EQ in the loop (essential).

IMO the Rectifier series is not compressed at all. The amp is very responsive to pick attack and dynamics. I believe it is this lack of compression that will create complaints that there is "not enough gain" in the Rectifier series.

I find my MKV to be much more saturated and compressed in comparison to the Roadster.

Dom

Pig Muffin said:
I play metalcore with an alter bridge "isolation" style tone (i know they use marks)......

Alter Bridge's core tone is based on the Triple Rectifier. Mark Tremonti plays a Triple Recto (since Creed) mixed with an Ubershall to enhance the low-end. Myles Kennedy uses a Roadster for his rhythms and a MKV for his lead tones. IMO "Isolation" is a great example of Rectifier rhythm tone, and Mark lead tone.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/165-mark-tremontis-guitar-gear-equipment-and-rig

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-pla...e-myles-kennedy-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

Dom

domct203 said:
Pig Muffin said:
I play metalcore with an alter bridge "isolation" style tone (i know they use marks)......

Alter Bridge's core tone is based on the Triple Rectifier. Mark Tremonti plays a Triple Recto (since Creed) mixed with an Ubershall to enhance the low-end. Myles Kennedy uses a Roadster for his rhythms and a MKV for his lead tones. IMO "Isolation" is a great example of Rectifier rhythm tone, and Mark lead tone.

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/165-mark-tremontis-guitar-gear-equipment-and-rig

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-pla...e-myles-kennedy-guitar-rig-gear-and-equipment

Dom

Dom – do you have any sound clips of your “A” rig I could hear. I have an MXR 10 band, and ISP in the loop like you and a TS9 out front. I would like to hear your sound to get an idea of how you use your 10 band MXR

Unfortunately I don't have any recent clips of the Roadster. Right now it is with my tech for some transformer upgrades. When I get it back I'll see if I can record some clips.

I use my ISP and 10 band GEQ out front, the only thing in the FX Loop is the G-Major. I use the GEQ to boost the mids after the BB Preamp for solos in Vintage mode. For my Modern mode rhythms I use the TS-9 with the gain at 8:00, tone at noon and level at 2:00 to add some mids and top end presence as well as to tighten the low end a bit.

Dom

Do you have anything on youtube or with your band?

also, do you recommend I put my ISP out front? I thought they were supposed to be in the fx loop. Since mine is in the FX how should I adjust the mix dial on the back, I am not an FX loop guy until now, so I am trying to learn.

I'll see if I can find a decent recording from practice to post. We did an album in 2000-2001, but it was just before I bought my first Recto.

I run the ISP out front because it's the stomp box version and I find it really works great out front without excessively squashing my signal. When I have the FX Loop switched in I'll use the noise gate in the G-Major as well for uber high-gain or noisy effects.

Dom

your singer kinda reminds me of Overkill.

cool, it gives me an idea, kick *** music also.

is this you on both lead and rhythm tracks? I love the lead tone on "break the sky"

Latest posts

Back