anyone use a compressor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at compressors for my mark iv. I've been using a homebrew one I designed off some old schematics I found online a while back. I like it, but it still isn't exactly what I'm looking for, it colors the sound too much. Has anyone tried the Robert Keeley, or the kit from www.buildyourownclone.com?

I have an old MXR Dynacomp. I recently replaced the switch with a 3PDT switch & added an LED & 9VDC adapter. Unfortunately it now oscillates. I am wondering if I have the leads inside too long. I just ordered an upgrade kit for it from monteallums.com, and am going to try that out and shorten the leads inside as much as possible. I will let you know what I think. You can get used Dynacomp's on Ebay for pretty cheap.

I use the good old Boss. does the trick for me. A friend of mine has the Rocktron which is also a nice unit. No need to spend big bucks on a compresor.

brianf

Thanks for the replies!

Yeah, the Keeley looks great, but even on ebay they go for close to $200 each, which is a lot for a stomp box (in my opion). I was just wondering if anyone had tried building there own from the buildyourownclone.com website. It advertises it like its as good as a boutique pedals, but a lot cheaper. I have tried some of the others that you all mentioned, but they just don't seem to go as nicely with my strat and mark iv... although i haven't tried the keeley myself.

I"m using a Barber Tone Press. Really flexible compressor. I like it a lot.

Greg

If you can get ahold of a Keeley to try, do it....I think you will find that the 200+ price tag is worth it, especially if you don't like those other pedals.

RB

I just recently switched from a Boss CS-3 to a Carl Martin compressor. Reason for the switch is that the Carl Martin model has an adjustable threshold and a LED indicator to display how much compression is occurring. I tried to use it in the FX loop of my MkIII with the threshold set high to match the output of the preamp. Bad idea. The Carl Martin sounds great up front. Even better than the Boss CS-3 IMHO.

I've been using a Maxon CP 101 compressor. It works very well for me. It's quiet and very transparent. It goes for around $130 new.

DC-3 user with a MXR Dynacomp here. It does exactly what I need, and has never let me down. No mods - all stock. For the price, I think it's a great little unit. Can be a bit noisy if you use it with the overdrive channel, but I use it exclusively on clean settings, and it fattens up my strats and teles nicely. For clean solo work (Knopfleresque sounds) I think it nails it. I run it pretty much maxed out on the compression and adjust the output to taste. When engaged in conjunction with a light chorus or phase it gives me the transparency I'm looking for as well as a little boost.

I've heard that Analogman does a great compressor called the "comprossor". I believe it's true bypass.

Does no one use a Line 6 Constrictor/Compressor? I really like the Line 6 stuff and actually have one on its way! :) I'll be sure to comment again after I get it.

I've been using a Boss CS-2 (older w/o the tone control) on one board and a Keeley Compressor on another. Love both for different reasons - Keeley for its transparent studio quality rack comp nature and the CS-2 for that colored Nashville/Brent Mason squish. Keeley is quiet and true bypass where the CS-2 isn't (either quiet or TB).

Comps are like anything else, try a few and find what works for you, your guitars and playing style. Everyone has a different ear and expectation.

Dw.

Hey Jimbo. I used to use (and actually still have) a half space DBX rack compressor. Don't ask me what model, because I have no idea. It's actually a really good compressor, but the problem is that it's not footswitchable, so it's either on all the time or not on at all. I found the unit to be exceptional for compressing a clean signal, but once I took the amp into overdrive territory it was noisy as hell, so I couldn't keep it in the signal chain. I add that it looked great in the rack (if you are into that sort of thing) because the LEDs would light up to show you how much compression was being used. Much more tweakable than most pedals, because you could trim or boost the input signal if needed, as well as adjust compression ratio and output level.

I still use the unit occasionally; we now use it to compress the bass drum when we're running through the PA for large gigs.

In my rack I use a an RNC-1773 by FMR Audio. Blows all the others away.

t0aj15 said:

Do you run that in front of the amp or in the loop? I've got one as well but it's in my home studio rack. Never thought about running it in my guitar rig.
Greg

I had a Keeley Compressor on order and just got it in yesterday. I gave it a go last night and compared it to the onboard compressor on a GT-6. It's much more natural sounding and is a very welcome addition to the rig.

I'll be running it straight in between the guitar and the amp.

Brewski-

Did you buy your pedal new or used? if used, where did you get it?

GregN said:
t0aj15 said:

Do you run that in front of the amp or in the loop? I've got one as well but it's in my home studio rack. Never thought about running it in my guitar rig.
Greg
I use a GCX switcher in my rack and the RNC is in one of the loops of the switcher which feeds it into the input of the preamp. IMO compressors should only be used in front of the amp not in the loop. BTW I only use the compressor with single coil guitars, never with humbuckers.

Did you buy your pedal new or used? if used, where did you get it?

I bought it new directly from Keeley. I looked at the used ones on e-bay, but, because they were getting such high prices for used equipment, that I decided to go new and a full warranty. I thought that I'd have to wait the 4-5 days for the backorder, but surprisingly, it was shipped immediately after ordering. I was pleasantly surprised. I think that pedalgeek.com had these in stock, as well.

I know that they are not cheap, but I figure that this unit will be part of my rig for a very long time.

Latest posts

Back