Anyone tried the Mini Rec with a greenback?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamtheaterrules

Reaction score
I did. I have an Emi Private Jack. For some reason I'd never gotten around to trying it, since everyone knows Recto amps are supposed to be used with V30s! :D I plugged the Mini into a 1x12 Avatar/Private Jack last week. Some of the best sounds I've ever heard out of the Mini!

I'm a big fan of 70s and 80s hard rock, so lots of Marshall tones. The greenback type speaker flavors the Mini enough to push it firmly into that tonal range. The Vintage setting sounded really great with the PJ. Even the Modern sounded great, EQ a little bit and instant 80s metal tones. The spikey upper mids of the V30 are replaced with smoother mid crunch.

I will have to play it more before saying this for sure, but I may pair that amp with that speaker now and not go back to the V30 at all.

I had a quad of Private Jacks for awhile that I used with my Dual Rectifier. You're right, sounds like rock and roll and gave it a more 80s/Marshall vibe, not totally surprising considering that my Recto 4x12 gave a Marshall Super Lead a distinctly modern, almost Recto-ish chunk and thump.

The Private Jacks are good sounding speakers but they only marginally do the G12M-25 thing. IMO, they're a little stiff and bland next to actual Greenbacks. Greenbacks break up faster, sound thicker (they emphasise a lower midrange frequency) and produce more transient harmonics. Which one is better is subjective, but I prefer the actual Greenback.

I have a 2x12 with them in , but haven't run the mini through it. I'll give it a go.

I had a MIE Greenback for probably 3 years and in an identical cab. Sold it because I preferred the PJ. At that time, I didn't have any of my current Mesa amps. But I did have a turret board, high gain Marshall front end clone with a single ended EL84 output stage, good trannies, all really good parts etc. Maybe I never pounded it enough, but at 3 years old the top end was still crispy.

Also noteworthy, the PJ is my favorite speaker with my TA15 as well. Sounds really good with the Vox channels, (not as good as the Red Fang Alnico, but really good) and great with Hi1. Even sounds surprisingly good on the Fender Tweed and Mesa settings. But I hadn't tried it with the Mini Rec, and was really surprised at how good it was. The more I mess with speakers, the more you see just how huge a part of your tone they really are.

Some time soon I'll try the PJ with my V25. :wink:

Back