What's your fave speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
xdg999 said:
The MS-12 is my favorite. It's smooth and thick but might be too warm for some players. It pairs nicely with an EV in a 2x12 or 4x12. Warms up the sterile sound of the EV's. Another speaker I really like is the Celestion Redback. Sounds great in a 1x12 combo or 4x12.

My absolute favorite speaker is also the MS-12. I use it with all my Mesa Mark's and with my Fuchs ODS. I literally almost sold my IIb when I was playing it through an EVM 12L. I know some love that speaker, but paired with my IIb, it seemed to either add or bring out this gross/nasty compression in the upper mids. It vanished with the MS-12, and sounded as smooth, creamy, and lyrical as my IIc+

I hear that the current production Eminence Delta Pro 12A is almost the same as the MS-12. I've played through both (played through a Delta when testing my Fuchs), but never A/B'd them. Curious if anyone has.

n.b. - I picked up an Eminence Deltalite II 2512, hoping it would be close to a Delta/MS-12. It actually sounds much closer to an EVM 12L, to my ear.

Many say the EVM 12L and the MS-12/Delta Pro 12a are similar. Maybe it's because they're the only 2 types of speaker I used in the last 10+years, but I find them incredibly different. I always hear top-end fizziness in the EVM's, and no juicy mids (a la the Eminence). Some say you really have to push the EVM's to get them to sing—that could be it.

I've since tried a few other speakers I really like with my SOB and 100w MkIIa, the Celestion G12K-100 is excellent and sounds relatively neutral, but with that Celestion midrange bite, the old G12H-100 is great and sounds smoother than the G12k-100, with less upper midrange but still great clarity, and the humble Eminence V128 sounds absolutely terrific and almost similar to the G12H-100 brand new in spite of its smaller magnet, it is also rated 120w.

I believe the EVM-12L is the perfect match for a C+ in the 2x12 and 4x12 metal grille Boogie cabs (I have one of each) with the top half closed. I do think there are better options for open back situations. I also think that my EVH Stealth sounds good with its matching cab (Greenback Celestions). Each amp complements the speaker and cab that it was designed around. 8)

All of my favorite speakers are the ones I regret selling now!

Had a 1x12 Thiele with an EVM-12L that I loved for how neutral it sounded. I unfortunately didn’t get to let it push much air while I was playing out with it but it sounded great.

My favorite cabinet was an all C-90 loaded 4x12.
No one ever talks about these and they seem impossible to find online lately. It was a Mesa straight 4x12 with the three-quarter back. It was probably the most compact 4x12 I ever came across. I regret selling it since it sounded so good and was quite transportable compared to larger cabs. Does anyone remember these? The only thing I’ve found about them online was from an old Mesa catalogue from 2002.

xdg999 said:
The MS-12 is my favorite. It's smooth and thick but might be too warm for some players. It pairs nicely with an EV in a 2x12 or 4x12. Warms up the sterile sound of the EV's. Another speaker I really like is the Celestion Redback. Sounds great in a 1x12 combo or 4x12.

+1. I run an Eminence MS-12 in an open back cab sitting atop an EVM12-L loaded Thiele. My C+ and DC-3 both love them.

Hello.
Celestion 1988 Sidewinder S12-150 w 4x12 with paper surrounds T3771
& a 2nd 4x12 with S12 -150w with cloth surrounds T3865.
Basically Impossible to find, but I Did.
Good Luck to your Journey!!
Cheers.

Attachments

• 20210429_172949_001.jpg
    20210429_172949_001.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0
i really love my Carvin it is actual stage gear so its larger and heavier. closed back square magnet greens by emminence. older than most would guess and has seen lots of stages

Hello.
Celestion 1988 Sidewinder S12-150 w 4x12 with paper surrounds T3771
& a 2nd 4x12 with S12 -150w with cloth surrounds T3865.
Basically Impossible to find, but I Did.
Good Luck to your Journey!!
Cheers.
I recall back in the day people liked the Sidewinders but blew them up. As your speakers have survived so long you should be pretty free of that worry.

Regards

Mark

Mesa OEM V30s for me. Haven't felt the need to mix anything with them either. Got them in a couple different Zilla 2x12s.

I see a lot of love for Greenbacks. I have a traditional Mesa slant cab with four V30s. Would I benefit in changing out two of the V30s for greenbacks?

Celestion V30 still.
Because of its tone and sound projection.

My absolute favorite speaker is also the MS-12. I use it with all my Mesa Mark's and with my Fuchs ODS. I literally almost sold my IIb when I was playing it through an EVM 12L. I know some love that speaker, but paired with my IIb, it seemed to either add or bring out this gross/nasty compression in the upper mids. It vanished with the MS-12, and sounded as smooth, creamy, and lyrical as my IIc+

I hear that the current production Eminence Delta Pro 12A is almost the same as the MS-12. I've played through both (played through a Delta when testing my Fuchs), but never A/B'd them. Curious if anyone has.

n.b. - I picked up an Eminence Deltalite II 2512, hoping it would be close to a Delta/MS-12. It actually sounds much closer to an EVM 12L, to my ear.

Many say the EVM 12L and the MS-12/Delta Pro 12a are similar. Maybe it's because they're the only 2 types of speaker I used in the last 10+years, but I find them incredibly different. I always hear top-end fizziness in the EVM's, and no juicy mids (a la the Eminence). Some say you really have to push the EVM's to get them to sing—that could be it.
I purchased the Delta Pro 12 A many years ago trying to match the old EVM 12. They're ok. Back then they were generally used for PA speakers. Their specs may have changed by now.

Latest posts

Back