Anyone tried JJ EL-84's in their V:25 yet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
I have some on order from Bob at Eurotubes. Interested to hear what you guys think of these tubes in the V:25. I typically like JJ's and I know the preamp tubes are all JJ's from the factory (re-branded and tested). I think I have some tube rattle in my stock EL-84's, but they will be viable backup tubes once the JJ's arrive.

The JJ's arrived today. Played for a few minutes with the stock tubes installed before swapping. The JJ's are a little darker which is not a bad thing in this amp since it is so bright and mid-heavy to start with. The bass is tighter, the top end is smoother (glassy, perhaps?), and there is more clarity. These are very musical tubes, IMO. There was a certain frequency that sounded harmonically unrelated to my ears with the stock tubes that I couldn't seem to dial out. I don't hear it with the JJ's. For my tastes, I think they are exactly what the amp needed to polish it off. The tube rattle is gone as well so that confirms it was one of the stock tubes. Of course the difference between the tubes is not night and day, but they are subtly noticeable differences which I think improve the tone.

Haven't touched the preamp tubes, but I don't intend to go down that path again with this amp. I'll stick with the stock JJ's there as well.

Thanks for the update. I was curious about the JJ's in the power section. I did order a new set of tubes through Mesa to have, and got the SPAX7's just because I wanted to. Not sure I will bother pulling the chassis to change them for a while though, as I'm still on the honeymoon with this little beast. I love how it sounds bone stock.

Monstercastle said:
Thanks for the update. I was curious about the JJ's in the power section. I did order a new set of tubes through Mesa to have, and got the SPAX7's just because I wanted to. Not sure I will bother pulling the chassis to change them for a while though, as I'm still on the honeymoon with this little beast. I love how it sounds bone stock.

Yea, man. I've always been a fan of JJ tubes, and was happy to hear when Mesa was moving to JJ's as their stock tube supplier for their preamps. The JJ power tubes just put the finishing touches on this awesome amp to my ears. Give 'em a shot.

Back