Anyone noticing any fizz/fuzz w/ their Mark V's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
I noticed a bit of fizz/fuzz on Channel 3 in the Mark IV mode... wondering if it's just a function of how I have it dialed in. Never noticed that sort of thing when I had a real Mark IV, that's for sure.

Anybody else noticed this?

--B

bduersch said:
I noticed a bit of fizz/fuzz on Channel 3 in the Mark IV mode... wondering if it's just a function of how I have it dialed in. Never noticed that sort of thing when I had a real Mark IV, that's for sure.

Anybody else noticed this?

--B

Yip, I notice it, especially with my Les Paul when I switch from ch 2 crunch to mark iv on ch 3 - meaning I notice it by relative difference not because there is something wrong with switching between channels. But I agree that you can dial it out using the ch eq's and the sliders if need be. I think it has to do with how much gain and how bright you want it to be.

thegaindeli said:
Both my head and combo were fizz-bombs! That's why I sold them both. It's too bad too... I really wanted the Mark V to be my "go to" amp. :cry: I did pick up a Mark IIC+ combo which totally rocks! :D WAY more gain than the MKV's Mark IIC+ setting... Better sounding too - with NO fizz!

I can't believe this post! Please somebody pinch me! You're still here. Don't pay attetion! Let't pretend he's not here. Actually I might quite this board. It's getting ... You get my drift gaindeli?

MesaGod666 said:
Nope. You can EQ every bit of that stuff out.

Ok, I went through the Mark V settings thread and noticed that pretty much everybody has their C3 presence set a lot lower than I did... I dialed it back a bit, and the tone smoothed out more. So it's definitely better now.

I think I've gotten in the habit of dialing up the presence on my Triaxis and other amps and forgot how sensitive it can be on Mark-series amps.

--B

Mesa Boogie Rule # 1
If you dont like something about your tone, walk away, have a beer, come back and tweak 2 or 3 knobs and viola, problem solved! :lol:

Nermel said:
I was trying to do just that...heh and you ruined it lol

jk

Yeah his flip-flopiness and trolling is annoying...I wouldn't quit the board because of him though

Naahh! I'll stick around. I hear you.

I understand that some fiziness can show up a bit and some of it if not all can be dialed out but I wonder if that fizz is also present when you put EL34 into the beast?

thegaindeli said:
Nermel said:
I was trying to do just that...heh and you ruined it lol

jk

Yeah his flip-flopiness and trolling is annoying...I wouldn't quit the board because of him though

I couldn't fit all my gear in my profile... But you get what I mean. :wink:
..well, I can help...just list your Boogie gear...I doubt many of us could even come close to listing everything

thegaindeli said:
MESA Tech support asked me what I thought about the MKV today. I told them that I loved the amp, but that I personally experienced more "buzz & fizz" then any other MESA I've ever played. I also told them that it didn't have as much gain as my MK IIC+. Oh! And I told them that I personally think that the MK 1 setting is too dark. I at least want to be able to dial-out the low-end. I'm waiting on the first revision MKV... :D

Did they give you any response or just say thanks for your input?

thegaindeli said:
They just wanted to know why I sold 2 of them? The combo was way buzzier than the head. The head didn't start out that way. As a matter of fact - it sounded fantastic! After a few days of playing, it started in with the buzzing? Could be caps - could be the output transformer - maybe both? I'd expect that out of a late model Marshall - but not a MESA. I talked to a very well known builder who said that MESA has been using cheaper output transformers to cut costs? I don't know about all of that... How would anyone know that but MESA? I just know that I'm not spending $2,099.00 on an amp that has issues. I did purchase them off ebay - so anything is possible. I was going to purchase a combo directly from MESA, but have decided to just wait for the revised MKV. I'm sending my Mark IIC+ to Mike B. for a refresh - so maybe I can talk with him about the MKV. I would much rather have a MKV with the extra sound options, than just a Mark IIC+. I do think the actual MK IIC+ has a "faster" sound to it... If that makes any sense? It has WAY more gain too! If I replace the V1 with a 5751 tube - only then does the gain more match the MKV's more subdued MK IIC+ setting. The MK IIC+ has a clean sound that rivals my Cornford MK50H II. The MKV clean sound IMO is simply incredible! IMO - the MKV is more of a new amp - not a "historic" reissue of other MK amps. That being said - it just needs to be fine-tuned. Once MESA gets the MKV dialed-in, I predict it will be one of the greatest amps MESA has ever built. :D

It really is a shame that even after two you had the same problems. I don't find this to be an issue whatsoever with mine, but hopefully you can find one that works for you.

Someone needs to give you a slap.

Like all good amps, it takes a fine tuned ear to coax a killer tone from the MarkV. I have had it for about 6 weeks now and am starting to
get really nice tones from it. Mark I mode can be slider EQ'd to sound as clear as any sound in channel 3 and MarkIV and IIC+ can be preset
EQ'd to get amazing sans-fizz tones.

It just takes time and patience to get a good tone with an amp with this many features. I bet whoever bought the V's from you are laughing
their asses off.

thegaindeli said:
MESA Tech support asked me what I thought about the MKV today. I told them that I loved the amp, but that I personally experienced more "buzz & fizz" then any other MESA I've ever played. I also told them that it didn't have as much gain as my MK IIC+. Oh! And I told them that I personally think that the MK 1 setting is too dark. I at least want to be able to dial-out the low-end. I'm waiting on the first revision MKV... :D

In all fairness, did you call them back 1/2 hour later when you changed your mind? :lol:

thegaindeli said:
Strange? I was told by the MESA service dept. that I could speak with Mike B. with questions pertaining to the Mark IIC+ setting on the MKV...
...Mike can answer your questions on a C+ settings deal...even though he was not involved with the V, he can hash it out ...lots of q and a and thinking aloud..if you talk to him, make sure you have a notebook handy
helluva guy...talked me OUT of getting a simul upgrade on my Coli..and that was easy $$ for him 8)

I think the thread has completely digressed so..
lesterpaul... what did he tell you that made you not want the simul upgrade? what different characteristics would that have brought about? Also as you get to play more with the V, Coli, and IIb, can you elaborate on all of the differences you find (subtle and not so)?

also what cab are you using, i see it says theile cab/hb mesa, what exactly is that? (any experience with the recto or stilleto cabs, V30s, that the make now?

thanks.. feel free to PM me, if you dont want to keep it in an unrelated post.

dmc

sorry for the thread digression..I do that a lot here..ooops

he explained that by mismatching(4 ohm out into 8 ohm cab) and running on half power, it would be very close to simul tone..he just didnt think it was 300+ dollars diff
...he then said, "hell, I would turn that sucker on full power and let her rip..."..its a Coli/let her do her thing!!!!amen!!
gotcha one coming(pm), dmc...

Latest posts

Back