Anyone mark 3 users recommend a rectoverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinK

Reaction score
I currently have my mark 3 stack but I can't bring my whole set up to my school apartment and it is a pain to bring to small jams.

So would any mark 3 users recommend a rectoverb as a secondary amp?

I am looking for something different but would like to hear what mark users thought of the rov.

Thanks in advance

I went to a mark II from a Rectoverb.
I liked that amp but not for playing lead as much as I do the III or the IV.
Mine sounded great, but it was wasy too loud for "home use" even with a hotplate.
if you're thinking about the combo , remember that the recto's sound completely different as a combo as compared to a head thru a 2X12. (much better that way)
I like em, they're cool amps and I think tighter sounding than the duals or triples.

AustinK said:
I currently have my mark 3 stack but I can't bring my whole set up to my school apartment and it is a pain to bring to small jams.

So would any mark 3 users recommend a rectoverb as a secondary amp?

I am looking for something different but would like to hear what mark users thought of the rov.

Thanks in advance

I'd just snatch up a combo cab, preferably one with the EV12L and drop your Mark III in it. That or get the new widebody Theile cab Sweetwater has for sale and sell whatever cab you're using. That'd be a really small easy to pack around setup that'd rock.

Recto combo's are a ***** to carry around and they're stupid loud.

I thought about getting a small cab to bring with me but i also want to try something new. Can't do the combo shell ( i have a long head)

Ideally i could also run it though my stack when i'm home and have a tight rhythm to record with seeing as i am now playing some heavier stuff that needs the rec sound.

can a good lead/rhythm sound be dialed in with the solo feature or is it one or the other? I have yet to hear an amp that does my lead sound better than the mark 3 so i am not really hoping for something better but just different.

Combos are heavy and cumbersome. I never could dig the recto for leads, so much so that I sold mine. A ported, closed back 1x12 would be your best option, cost wise. I had Scotty at Boogafunk cabs build me a 23" wide thiele to sit under my greenstripe long chassis Mark III. I traded a Celestion loaded Laney 4x12 for the EV thiele 1x12 and have had no regrets whatsoever. 8)

Pictured is the wide thiele under a 23" Lonestar head
DSC04201.jpg

Another good fit is the Genz-Benz G-flex 2x12 under a long chassis Mark head.
DSC03672.jpg

AustinK said:
I thought about getting a small cab to bring with me but i also want to try something new. Can't do the combo shell ( i have a long head)

Ideally i could also run it though my stack when i'm home and have a tight rhythm to record with seeing as i am now playing some heavier stuff that needs the rec sound.

can a good lead/rhythm sound be dialed in with the solo feature or is it one or the other? I have yet to hear an amp that does my lead sound better than the mark 3 so i am not really hoping for something better but just different.

They made the long chassis combo's too in the Mark IV's and DC's and they all fit the same.

Rectifiers are those amps that sound great when other people play them in a band setting but pretty much sound like *** by themselves in your room. You'd be disappointed. I owned one for years but mine was a head. I hate combo amps of any stripe personally so I'd never go the combo route.

this was the best lead sound I ever "coaxed" out of mine. I used a modded Sd-1 in front, KT-77's in Vintage mode and an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop in a slight frown. :D
I used my GMW strat which is all maple. for some reason that guitar just records really well.
I liked it but it was a really loud amp that did not sound good at low volume.

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=1374

for somewhat less than what you would spend on a used tremoverb get one of these:

http://www.mercenary.com/pga04addimop.html

and take your MkIII with you.

As long as you're cool with a little compression it's awesome.

I had a ROV before my Mark IV. It has some good tones it it, but I found it a bit too boomy and farty. The Recto-preamp is very bass-heavy, and it sounds much better with a closed back 2x12 or 4x12. I'd stick with the Mark III head and just get a smaller cab instead of another amp. There were some plans for a wide-body thiele cab floating around here somewhere.

While I don't have a MkIII, I have MkII and MkIV. I also owned a ROV. As others have said, the ROV is heavy, screaming loud, and doesn't have anything like the cleans or boogie lead tones that you love in your MkIII. it doesn't seem on its face to meet your key needs of small, less volume but still good tone.

The ideas that come to mind include older "smaller" Boogie line products, like the SOB or the Studio .22+ or similar, which were "baby Marks" kinda sorta. Lower power and not all the features, but at least in the Mark family tree. The other one that comes to mind is the Express series. Both Express models have 5 watt options, so you can knock the power down to manage in an apt. setting, but can use the higher power setting for jams. I had a 5:50 Express. It had better tones all around than the ROV. It certainly isn't a Mark, but it probably is more closer to the Mark heritage than the ROV, which is in the Rectifier family tree.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the input.

I think i will have to find a smaller cab as my best option.

I might have a look at the smaller combos as well.

On a side note- are there any amps (boogie or not) that can deliver the a classic boogie lead tone as well as a crushing rhythm(a la rec)?

Early 2 channel rec maybe?

Latest posts

Back