Anyone had luck with the Mesa Boogie Rectifier cabinets?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papersoul

Reaction score
I am looking for a new 212. I have a Bogner Shiva and a Reborn Dual Rectifier.

I tend to like cabs with semi open backs because they disperse sound better but was considering the Rectifier vertical 212. I was going to load it with Celestion G12K-100s. Anyone tried this combo?

My other thoughts was an older Mesa half back.

I and I'm sure plenty of others on this board have had plenty of "luck" with rectifier cabinets. Loved my 2x12 horizontal when I had it, and my 4x12 recto is a beast. The 2x12 vertical would be my choice so you can hear yourself and still pack the punch.

I have a straight Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and the matching angled 4x12...they were very boomy and bass heavy, especially the straight cab until I threw the OD808 in front of my Dual Rec but that certainly tamed the low end to just about right with my setup. Very well built and good sounding cabs IMO

The recto cabs are practically the industry standard these days. Hard to go wrong with one

If you bought a Recto because it produces the "Recto" sound, the Recto cab is a pretty key element in achieving it.

If you bought a Recto thinking it would produce some other sound, then another cab/speaker combo might get you closer to your goals.

Rectifier + recto cab = perfect match... for a recto sound!

Right now I'm running my Roadster on one of the old Recto 1/2 back 4x12's. It is very punchy and cuts incredibly well in a mix. Every time we practice my bass player looks at my amp and says... "Man I LOVE how that thing sounds. Perfect." I also have a new rectifier 4x12 but its very dark and just doesn't sound the same, but I still love the cabinet, it just doesn't work for what I'm playing right now.

The same new recto cab sounds completely different with my Trem-O-Verb head with 5881's in it. It really depends on what you are running into the cab... 8)

You talking about the old mark metal grill half back 4x12's?

sekunda said:
Right now I'm running my Roadster on one of the old Recto 1/2 back 4x12's. It is very punchy and cuts incredibly well in a mix. Every time we practice my bass player looks at my amp and says... "Man I LOVE how that thing sounds. Perfect." I also have a new rectifier 4x12 but its very dark and just doesn't sound the same, but I still love the cabinet, it just doesn't work for what I'm playing right now.

The same new recto cab sounds completely different with my Trem-O-Verb head with 5881's in it. It really depends on what you are running into the cab... 8)

I really like my recto 2 x 12. Often playing i wish it was a 4 x 12 .but then I have to pick it up to load the car up and down a long , skinny staircase and remenber why its a 2 x 12

siggy14 said:

sekunda said:

Yes sir... that is the one I mean. Love those cabs...

What speakers you running in the half back, they came with so many options back then.

sekunda said:
siggy14 said:

sekunda said:

Yes sir... that is the one I mean. Love those cabs...

i have an os 412 recto that sounds great with a diezel herbert, a pre 2010 3ch dual rect, a quad pre/50:50 power, and even a marshall mg100hdfx believe it or not. the only other 412 i've tried is a soldano (not sure what speakers) and a diezel front loaded w/ gt75. both i didn't like. i guess i am more of a v30 guy.

speaking of which, i've seen some "recto" straight cabs that are actually 'straight' meaning the baffle and the grille ar both straight, but mine looks like this:

Gear001.jpg

not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but can anyone tell me any real difference between the two?

I used to own a customized Port City Wave 212 that I sold to a guy on Rig Talk. That was a really great cab with the Roadster, but I never gelled with it as much as I did in my honeymoon period. I've talked to the dude over in Rig Talk who seems to love the way it sounds with his Roadster and Marshall. Anyways, I've been without a cab now for about a month and find this thread to be interesting to my own needs. I've always read lots of love/hate posts concerning Mesa cabs. I used to use a 212 Recto cab for a little bit, as a loaner from a bandmate. I never really closely listened to it though, and how it sounded. How do people like the Roadster with Mesa cabs? I need to find a replacement cab, something that really helps compliment my Roadster's tones. I've heard from OldEnglund that the Roadster 212 is, in his opinion, one of Mesa's best cabs around. Anyone here try a Roadster with more than one Mesa cab? Results?

geetar_geek79 said:
i have an os 412 recto that sounds great with a diezel herbert, a pre 2010 3ch dual rect, a quad pre/50:50 power, and even a marshall mg100hdfx believe it or not. the only other 412 i've tried is a soldano (not sure what speakers) and a diezel front loaded w/ gt75. both i didn't like. i guess i am more of a v30 guy.

speaking of which, i've seen some "recto" straight cabs that are actually 'straight' meaning the baffle and the grille ar both straight, but mine looks like this:

Gear001.jpg

not meaning to hijack this thread or anything, but can anyone tell me any real difference between the two?

I tried my Roadster with a recto 2x12, stiletto cab, and the stanard oversized cab. For a while, i thought the stilleto cab was it since it tighened up the amp. Then one day I plugged it back into theversized cab. Sounds massive, huge, and still tight dailed in right. I am stcking with the versized recto cab. (In fact, I just picked up two more!)

geetar_geek79 said:

Gear001.jpg

I have the same straight/angled cab. Two possibilities i guess, the head amplifier fits better on top of the cabinet and is also stack-able when adding another cabinet. I prefer my straight/slant for the first possibility, the amplifier having ample room on top of the cab. Its a very beefy and heavy cabinet.

The way I understand it is that Mesa originally designed the oversized Recto cab to be an angled cab, which is why both the top and bottom cabs were angled.

screamingdaisy said:
The way I understand it is that Mesa originally designed the oversized Recto cab to be an angled cab, which is why both the top and bottom cabs were angled.

cool. i actually like the look of a bottom cab but projects like an angled cab.

anywho, going back on topic, i think a mesa 212 would be awesome. that is actually on my wish list - to be used as my 'wet' cab.

Back