Anyone find tone controls that work for all 3 modes live?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvis

Reaction score
I finally tried the ED today after reading a few reviews. I was actually pretty much ready to buy one based on what all y'all have written about it. HOWEVER, I have 3 setups now, an F50 and a Triaxis, so I am used to being able to change tone on the fly, and a Studio Pre, that is a pain in the *** when switching channels.

For anyone gigging with the ED, do you ride the tone controls all gig, or do you have a decent tone setting that works for all modes?

Also, do you choose 45W or 90W for the whole gig, or switch during the gig?

Conservative (not extreme) EQ settings tend to work best. Just have to read the manual several times.

Expect to set up / adjust your pickups to get the most out of the design limitations.

Hot tip: For good live tones, as you turn the Master up, bring the Volume (Gain) down, mids up, and bass down.

The amp is also sensitive to guitars so having 3 different axes will give a lot of tones.

45 / 90 watts is more about aggression than anything. With 90 watts, you get more low mids, more aggression, and a thicker / more urgent tone overall. 45 is more bouncy and generally happier. 90 sounds MEANER.

Ran today with everything about noon, gain at 2:00 and clean trim on. That worked fine for 3 distinct, usable classic rock sounds. With an OD on HI, I could probably do metal as well.

What a great amp!

elvis said:
Ran today with everything about noon, gain at 2:00 and clean trim on. That worked fine for 3 distinct, usable classic rock sounds. With an OD on HI, I could probably do metal as well.

What a great amp!

Volume (gain) at 1:30 ish is my favourite spot but I set the gain trim to normal. It gives a REALLY phat clean tone that love. I just dial back the bass to maintain clarity.

Ya, an OD on Hi would be great for metal but I'd want to try a jackson with high output pickups first to see how the Electra Dyne can handle it. There is a surprising amount of gain on tap, especially once you start turning up the master.

I agree. I went to about 11:00 on the master today and the thing totally came alive! My ears are still ringing...

I'm buying a head next week.

And an attenuator!!??? The one member 94Tremoverb is an advocate of turning an amp up just enough to get a good tone and then using the attenuator to knock off volume. Alternatively, earplugs cost less!!! ;)

Were you running a 4 x 12!?? Those tend to be REALLY loud!

That`s exactly why i bought a head version. I learned my lesson with 2x12 express. If you don`t like the speaker(s) in the combo or just want to do something else it`s a waste. You paid for it. W/ a head you can go any direction you want! jeffp

YellowJacket said:
NO WAY! And you're going to get the head version?
Try some different cabs with it if you can. The v30s really do sound different than the c90s do.

Ah come on man, those combos are not exactly easy to carry, or how about a 4x12 combo :D . Thats why I chose the head and 1x12"

I have 2 recto 1x12 cabs that are very easy to move. I will likely run them both in parallel with the ED. Can't wait to pick it up. My F50 sounds terrible by comparison.

That is probably the best approach. Ultimately, when you play live soundmen close mic a speaker so you hear the speaker much more than the cab.

The ED sounds far better than most production level amps and it gives the little boutique beauties a serious run for their money. (SUP TOPHAT)

Latest posts

Back