anyone ever tried g12-65's in a halfback cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a pair in the top of mine (along with some MS-12s) with my Stiletto II and love 'em. They're warmer and smoother than the MC-90 or the Classic 30, and that tames some of the inherent brightness of that amp.

**** Jim. You have peaked my interest now... :wink: I love the 65's in my Marshall cabs. I tend to prefer them in a slant since they are dark speakers.

done.

it actually went as smoothly as it could have possibly went. :shock:

the first conclusion i came to is that i have some ugly speakers.
the bottom right one looks like some puked on it. the dust cone was pushed in as well, but i fixed that.

test mode w/no grill. uuuugly!
76marshcab021.jpg

all back together.

76marshcab027.jpg

i didn't get to play it very loud or for very long because its late here, but i could already tell it sounded better than in the marshall. especially clean.
i have the back pannel on the top i should ad.

this is the cab i bought on ebay a while back where the grill was full of packing peanuts. i sold it to my guitarist, and then bought it back from him today because he got the road ready one as well.

Looks good. Give a full report on the sound... I am curious how the 65's sound in a halfback.

I used to run all G65's in two 2x12 cabs that i made my self out of solid Alder back in the early 82' with my old MKI. I loved them. They are definitely smoother sounding than both the V30's and C90's

ursinus said:
I used to run all G65's in two 2x12 cabs that i made my self out of solid Alder back in the early 82' with my old MKI. I loved them. They are definitely smoother sounding than both the V30's and C90's

I have 2 MArshall 4x12's loaded with them and like them with the Mark II and IV, but I like the C-90's more. I may just have to tinker a little bit now... 8)

Let us know how you like the difference when you can really crank it full tilt. The G12-65's are a nice round sounding speaker.

But I've noticed that you can stick almost any decent speaker in a halfback and they'll sound good. It's the inherent design of the box itself isolating the freq's for different color speakers.

btw: Very cool amp rig setup :wink:

you guys are gunna think i'm nuts, but this is my "home practice/writting rig".
and i live in an apartment.
i can't crank this thing, ever!
i never get my master lead and master volume beyond 2. and even 2 is pushing it.

all i can say, is that i'm happy with the sound. the half back cab made the 65's darker and more focused. i took the back panel off, and it just gave it a bit more volume and punch.

ThunderMonkey said:
you guys are gunna think i'm nuts, but this is my "home practice/writting rig".
and i live in an apartment.

:shock:

i can get it to a certain volume that is loud enough to enjoy fully, but not loud enough to be heard outside my door.

i've tried the mark III in a combo, but i could never dig the sound quite as much as with a closed back cab.

ThunderMonkey said:
right on mang, I take it you're on the first floor.

yep.
we're friends with the neighbors on the left, and there is an old man in the one above us.
if his hearing is as bad as his english, then i think all will be fine :)

65's sure are dark speakers, some may dig that, some may not. I like them but they couldn't be my only speaker.

Latest posts

Back