Anyone else not pull out the MKIV lead drive pull bright?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eet fuk

Reaction score
To me, it's similar to midgain on the mid/harm switch. Adds hairy fuzz. I could get used to it for leads, but not so sure for metallirythym. But I like it off for leads too. AND I don't use v30s exclusively anymore, so it's twice as warm and punchy as I had it before, but since I go higher on treble and presence, it's crunchier too in different places.

At louder volumes (gigs) I push it in as it lends itself to feedback with it pulled.

Normally I leave it in. It is interesting though to get different treble textures by pulling the bright and then backing off the treble. Or doing both and then pulling the 6600 slider down some. It all sounds different which is what's awesome about the amp. But I usually leave it, sounds rounder pushed to me.

depends on volume and style. I use the triode switch if I want to smooth things out, rather than push it. But of course, high volumes, pushed.

definately pushed. I set the presence at 8 for rythm sounds(pushed), which tightens the sound but it tends to get fuzzy if you use the pul bright or higher gain settings.

Depends, but for heavier stuff I like it pulled with my Les Paul and pushed with my Strat. Pushed with my Les Paul is nice and creamy ala Carlos Santana. MKIV has a lot of subtle shades hiding inside!

personally I think it's too bright w/ it pulled. even pushed I usually back off to around 2 or 3. of course, tubes can affect how you'd set this, but that said, I have mostly mullard RI's in my preamp and they have a pretty flat eq to them.

Searched through treble shift threads and found this. I have since changed my mind for the billionth time in life. I like the lead drive pull bright.

eet fuk said:
Searched through treble shift threads and found this. I have since changed my mind for the billionth time in life. I like the lead drive pull bright.
What guitar(s) are you playing, and what speakers? I can't pull the bright with my Fenders; I can (but don't) with my Gibsons.

The ability to change one's mind is the beauty part of Mark IVs! :D

I only pull out for very low volume playing. Like TV volume. I love how the Mark IV doesn't over saturate the notes and the pull bright kind of does that. As of late I have been using a very dry tone with only a slight delay for leads. For rhythm it straight into the amp with the loop bypassed baby! Of course it depends on my mood, day of the week, phase of the moon, etc.

dodger916 said:
What guitar(s) are you playing, and what speakers? I can't pull the bright with my Fenders; I can (but don't) with my Gibsons.

The ability to change one's mind is the beauty part of Mark IVs! :D

basswood ibanez with super distortion. I used to play emg81s but I find them to be too harsh for me now. I really want to hear a mahogany schecter with a duncan metal blackout. Frankencabs 75,v30,cl80, k100 all in a 4x12.Totally agree with the versatility thing!!!

ryjan said:
I only pull out for very low volume playing. Like TV volume. I love how the Mark IV doesn't over saturate the notes and the pull bright kind of does that. As of late I have been using a very dry tone with only a slight delay for leads. For rhythm it straight into the amp with the loop bypassed baby! Of course it depends on my mood, day of the week, phase of the moon, etc.
I noticed that too, I liked it less and less the louder I went. OMFG the IV is so ungodly loud. I have a jcm800 and a laney vh100, and the IV easily keeps up.

i keep mine in..use my lead channel for solos..out is ok at low volumes, adds some brightness, but i prefer the rounder tone when its pushed in

I use the bright both pulled and pushed depending on many variables and styles that I'm playinig. The "tone/shifts" have never impressed me much. When I pull those the tone just sounds crappy and I lose my sizzle and body most of the time. I can't find a setting where they actually sound good and I play a wide variety of styles.

With my solid body Mahogany & quilt top Carvin (ebony fretboard), I have always left the bright pushed in, regardless of volume. I wonder if someone had a really mellow hollow body jazz box it might work for them, but pulling the bright on the Lead drive only seems to detract from the sweet tone whenever I have tried it.

and there I go again, I like it pushed in too. I usually play with passives, but I kept feeling like I was missing grit, so I whipped out the ol emg81 again in 18V. Balancing the treble, mid (cranked), and drive knobs while toggling mid gain/harm and the treble pull shift, I came up with fatter low mids reminicent of the fatter passives, but with the grit of the active. Man, I sure do love the flexibility of this amp, and I can't wait to give the blackouts a try.

Fronzil said:
i keep mine in..use my lead channel for solos..out is ok at low volumes, adds some brightness, but i prefer the rounder tone when its pushed in

I keep everything pushed in. The pull functions make it sound like a darn POD :lol:

Pulled. It only gets fuzzy if you have the gain to high. My lead drive and Lead Gain usualy stay below 7

Latest posts

Back